Reload this Page >

Boston/Omni Park or MidTown Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 08:44 AM
Glenice

Hello! I have rates within $10.00 per nite for either the Omni Park or Midtown Hotel. The advantage of Midtown is that is offers free parking. We will be in Boston two nights and attending the Boston Pops, and sightseeing. Which hotel should we choose and why? Thanks. G.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 08:52 AM
betsy

Do you mean the Omni Parker House Hotel??
Both are in great locations. I've never stayed at either so I can't comment on the accomodations.
You also mention the parking issue. If you plan on staying and visiting sites in the city for your entire stay, you will not need a car. Public transportation is plentiful and safe and easy to use. Driving around the city is difficult, especially if you are not familiar with the city. I live in Boston and don't drive unless I absolutly have to.
Hopefully someone can comment on the hotels for you. HOpe this helps!

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 09:04 AM
Diane

Glenice,

I stayed at the Midtown Hotel this past July. It is nice, comparable to a Holiday Inn Hotel. Clean rooms, nothing fancy though. Good location and you can see/walk to Symphony Hall to see the Pops from the hotel. The subway system there is clean and great to use to get around. There is a subway stop right near the Midtown Hotel. I have never stayed at the Omni Park, so I cannot compare the two. Boston is a great city, have fun!

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 09:16 AM
Glenice

Oops! Thank you. I did mean the Omni Parker House. G.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Glenice

Thanks, Diane for your reply. Since you were just in Boston and stayed at the Midtown, please share tips for inexpenisve meals...traveling with 3 teens. G.

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 09:45 AM
betsy

Glenice--
Just up the street from the midtown is a restaraunt called Marche Movenpick. Your teens will love it. As you enter the restaraunt, you are given a "passport". You then go from one food station to another picking out what you want to eat. Your passport gets stamped for whatever you take. Every kind of food imaginable is here: Sushi, pizza, grilled meats, seafood etc. It's nothing fancy, but it's fun and it's pretty good too. Your teens will also probably like the shopping on Newbury St--especially "upper newbury". Also take a duck tour if they are still running: www.bostonducktours.com
Have a great trip!

Old Nov 16th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Glenice

Thanks Betsy for the eatery tip. Sounds like fun.

Any responses for either staying at the Omni Parker House or Midtown Hotel will be appreciated.

Thanks. G.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 06:50 AM
Ann

If you are bringing a car and the Midtown is offering free parking, take that one! You will end up paying at least $20/day if you're lucky just for parking, and you'll have to take the T or a taxi to Symphony hall for Pops. The free parking and location of the Midtown for your party and plans would be much better. Have a great visit.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Glenice

Ann, Thank you for your reply. The location does seem ideal. g.

Old Nov 17th, 2000, 03:02 PM
charles

The Omni Parker House is a nicer hotel located in the Financial District. Parking will cost over $20 a day. The Midtown is basically a motel. Its location is itself uninteresting, but is very convenient to Back Bay and the South End. The Parker House is slightly less so. If it were up to me and I didn't have a car, I would stay at the Parker House. However the midtown is a perfectly nice choice as well, and is a shorter walk to most of Back Bay. THe midtown is very close to the Pops.

So it all comes down to what you're more interested in - hotel feel vs. motel feel vs. price.