Hotels in Poipu area

Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in Poipu area

My husband and I have decided to go to Kauai the first week of February and we are torn between these three hotels: Castle Kiahuna Plantation, Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation and Resortquest Poipu Kai?

Resortquest is a little cheaper, but some have said that it is dated. Someone recommended Kiahuna Plantation to us in our last post, but I am unsure of the difference between Castle Kiahuna and Outrigger Kiahuna.....Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM

You might consider a vacation rental instead of a hotel. There are oceanfront condos in Poipu that have spectacular views but most of the hotels options are not right on the water. Try VRBO.com.
Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:54 PM

LOL the places Amy listed are condos in Poipu. Kiahuna Plantation has some great condos located close to the ocean! Poipu Kai is pretty big but if you can get a condo close to the water that's be good!
Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM

As Suzie has noted, the accommodations you've listed are condos, not hotels.

There are only two hotels in Po`ipu:

Sheraton:
http://www.sheraton-kauai.com/

and Grand Hyatt:
http://kauai.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

We live on the north shore and had been hearing horror tales from locals and visitors about all the construction happening in Po`ipu -- so we splurged and spent last weekend at the Hyatt (deeeeeeeeeeluxe!). Loved the hotel and were VERY glad to be at the "quiet" end of Po`ipu.

After Sunday brunch at the hotel with friends, we decided to drive to Spouting Horn. Egad. Yes, you can get there -- but via detours which take you off the main road, down to the beach, and back up again near the fire station. And the construction makes it look like a war zone -- something like 7 different subdivisions, all within about a 5-mile radius, with dirt and debris as your view. Ick.

When the construction crews are working (Monday thru Saturday; 7:30a.m. to 4p.m.), the entire area is subjected to blowing dust, construction noise, and outrageous traffic.

And those condos you've listed, are SURROUNDED by construction...due to continue into mid- or late-2008.
Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:09 PM

You can not beat auntiemaria's advice!!!

What was the highlight of your visit to the Hyatt? I loved all the swings and hammocks scattered on the property!
Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
dmlove

The Marriott Waiohai are condos in the sense that they're 2-BR units with living room and kitchen, but the whole place is operated as a hotel (front desk, staff, etc.). Also, we were there in late July and although there was a fair amount of construction going on (including the rebuilding of the Poipu Beach Hotel in between the Waiohai and Kiahuna, there was not only no offensive dust, etc., but we didn't even hear construction noise. The only time we even noticed the construction was when we walked on the beach side from the Waiohai to Kiahuna Plantation.

Dec 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM

auntie, I had heard the same things. You're always a good source of information. Thanks for confirming.

I am very jealous of you! You got to go to the Hyatt and pay the Kama'aina rate! Boo! Hiss!
Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:00 AM

Amy and Chris:

Kiahuna Plantation and Poipu Kai condos are individually owned properties, which are placed by the owners themselves into various rental pools, e.g., Castle, Outrigger, Resortquest, Suite Paradise, etc. Hence, your condo's decor and condition will vary according to how much the particular owner wants to invest in keeping the unit up. Through the years, we stayed in gorgeous, updated units as well as in down-right dumpy and depressing ones.

Suite Paradise (google the name) is a Real Estate outfit which manages many of the Poipu Kai and some of Kiahuna units, as well as Nihi Kai, which are also very nice and nicely located. For the last several years, Suite Paradise has been after its owners persuading them to remodel kitchens, bathrooms, update decor, etc., in an effort to put out there a better product and lots of owners did because the property values were on a tear.

Anyhow, here I am getting carried away.. In short, try Suite Paradise and just ask outright for an updated, nice unit.

Anna Roz
Dec 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM

Suzie:
Loved everything about the Hyatt -- friendly and professional staff, spacious and beautifully-furnished rooms, well-maintained grounds. Even got plenny exercise taking those l-o-n-g walks from lobby to room to restaurant to room to bar to room to shops! Egad, that place is sprawling!

dmlove:
The construction is going full-force now...relentlessly. We were at a holiday party in Anahola last night and the subject of Po`ipu came up (again). One couple said they'd been to an afternoon party at a home there two weeks ago, and the pound-pound-pounding of the pile-driver BLOCKS away, caused the party to end much earlier than planned. Awful stuff for the residents -- not to mention the visitors who've paid $$$$ to stay in the area. Most of the smaller construction areas will be completed sometime next year. But construction of the infra-structure of Kukuiula will be on-going -- they've barely scraped the land, needing to install roads, underground utilities, golf course, etc. Here's the website:
http://www.kukuiula.com/

iamq:
Quitcherbitchin, honey.
Remember that we're the ones who pay something like $5 for a gallon of milk! Hugs to you and Happy Holidaze!

Amy_n_Chris:
If you must stay in Po`ipu, at least get yourself an oceanFRONT (not just oceanVIEW) unit -- far less possibility of being impacted by the construction crud.

Mele Kalikimaka to you all, from the land where palm trees sway...
Today's daytime high temp on Kaua`i? About 82 degrees. Tonight's low is forecast to dip down to 70 or so. Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Ag3046

Oh, that horrible place Kukuiula.

A couple of years ago I visited the Allerton gardens and had the almost magical experience of being driven through those pineapple fields, then down the road into the garden. It was remote, quiet, tranquil. The driver old us sadly that the land had been sold and a big tourist development was going to be built there, destroying the privacy and serenity of the Botanical Gardens. He was even concerned the access to the garden might be significantly changed, and the beach invaded by the tourists. I hoped it had faltered, but now when I read of the project, this is clearly the one he mentioned. I am so disgusted to see yet another big development ruin Kauai.

I am so very very disappointed to hear this project actually has taken off and started to destroy the area.

Dec 24th, 2007, 06:21 AM

The thought of tourists swarming the beach at Lawai Kai is sort of nauseating.

Maybe auntie can confirm or deny, but I had heard that parts of the project are in finacial trouble. Is that true?
Dec 24th, 2007, 06:30 AM

We can only hope!

Throughout the islands, many of the residential projects which were aimed at wealthy buyers (we're talking the MULTI-million dollar homes on million-dollar lots), are either "on hold", or are being redesigned to accommodate lesser-priced residences. Still not what anyone would term "affordable housing" though...
Dec 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM

“I am so very very disappointed to hear this project actually has taken off and started to destroy the area.”

what do you mean started? (now you got me started again.) <35ya there was only 2 traffic lights on the whole island. can’t wait for eleele light to come on line and koloa rd. is getting one too. i've already done my site survey (and i'm not alone) for shortcuts through residental areas, boo hoo for the residents. if the state did it right the first time, convert power line access road to an expressway, we’d be so much better off and in half the time. but that’ll never happen because businesses would suffer and we wouldn’t hear the end of it from you-know-who.

permit delays is what keeping south shore builders from continuing. as usual the problem is with dept of water. even i pay my bill in person, it takes a month to clear. bunch of lolos. at least royal palms gave deposits back to buyers.

not so for dept of hawaiian homelands, they really ticked off some folks for allowing the lowest bidder to take over the project only to file bankruptcy. now residents are not allowed to move in b/c their homes are unfinished AND forced to keep paying their mortgages. they can keep the $1/yr for prop tax.

and about salt pond, due to the development there, salt is less and less and not as good. now, mine is used only for cooking, aches and pains.

kauai has gone to hell and i feel bad for my cat, Mango, when we go off island. hope he stays warm and dry.

i could go on and on…but it’s Christmas Eve so i'll wait til next year. lol