Search

Hotels in New York

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:18 AM
mik

Hotels in New York

Will be in New York in early August, and of course I want to do all the sights, stay someplace convenient/easy access to main points of interest, and all at a relatively inexpensive price (under $200 would be great). I really don't care about how fancy it is, just clean, safe, and fairly cheap. Please give me your top 5 suggestions!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:34 AM
Ted

Try priceline or quikbook. Both seem perfect for your flexibility.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:22 AM
imk

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:28 AM
Rachel

I feel like a broken record (for those old enuf to remember records). Try the Roosevelt Hotel. A large old hotel in midtown Manhattan that has been restored. I've gotten good prices thru Quikbook.com and the Entertainment Book. Location is great-accross the street from Grand Central Station. Rooms are spacious by NYC standards for moderately priced hotels, you can get rooms with 2 double beds. beware, a "double" in NYC may mean 1 double bed which 2 people can share, not 2 double beds which can hold 2-4 people. We found our room to be clean, neighborhood to be safe, and staff at hotel very nice and helpful.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:35 AM
tom

Great hotel and location (56 & Park) under $200..........Drake Swissotel

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
rqf

Edison Hotel located at 47th and Broadway. Will be well under $200. Most postings for this hotel are positive. Most frequent negative comment - rooms are small. Think website is www.edisonhotel.com

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:23 PM
s

The Swissotel is under $200???

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
Abbey

Yes "s", it is possible to book the Drake under $200. I stayed there in January for $175. Shop around on-line, there are a lot of bargains out there.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:41 PM
Postal

I second the suggestion to use Priceline. I paid $90 per night for a four star hotel half a block from Times Square.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:24 PM
gtracie

I got a great rate at the New York Hilton in December - $143 AAA rate. The lobby was full of people from my Atlanta flight and friends ended up there too.
Try the hotel websites and look for AAA rates.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:34 PM
IloveNY

I've stayed in New York five times in the past twelve months at five different hotels for visits to the city. The hotel I felt was the most convenient to everything and also nice was the Sheraton New York Towers.They have a promo code (nyws)at a rate of $169. a night for various dates throughout the year.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Michelle

I also recommend Quickbook. I got rooms for visiting friends at the Howard Johnson's - 8th Ave & 51st Street - several years ago, at a peak season - Xmas - thru Quickbook, for $135. Nice sized rooms. They had a queen bed & a sofa. There's also a Days Inn a little further down 8th Avenue. I consider that a great location, since there are tons of great restauants in the area, specially on 9th Ave., but you're still pretty centrally located. The E&C subway is right there on 8th & 50th.
Hotel Reservations Network is another option, but they do have a $50 cancellation fee.