Reload this Page >

Hotels in Los Angeles

Search

Hotels in Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:17 PM
LizF

Hotels in Los Angeles

I am arriving early December for a cruise from LA. I would like to get a hotel for a couple of nights close to where the ships leave from I guess ( or anywhere you may suggest) I don't need anything fancy - just quiet and clean. Can anyone suggest anything or is there a site that I can check out.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:53 PM
Wanda

Does your cruise leave from Long Beach?

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:17 PM
LizF

I really don't know where it leaves from. Its the 'Carnival Elation' if that helps and its going down to Mexico. Its strange that the information does not say where it leaves from!!

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Lori

Liz - It leaves from San Pedro (which is considered the Port of Los Angeles) and there is nothing in that area to see trust me, I lived inLA for many many years. It's the docks (piers) and full of cargo ships. I believe there is a Best Western across from the pier but even if you stayed there you would need a car to get to anyplace to see/do anything. Narby is Ports of Call Village, but it is now mostly boarded up (it was cute once upon a time with lots of little gift shops). Sorry to sound so discouraging,but I'd never stay in that area unless it was at that BW for one night before boarding or something.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Lori

Can't spell - meant to say "nearby" .. also you could consider staying in Long Beach, there are some decent hotels there.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 10:33 AM
LizF

Thank you Lori for that information as to where the port is. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a Hotel List somewhere? I will be in LA on November 30th for 2 nights and leave on the cruise on December 2nd. Apart from a hotel has anyone got any suggestions about any mountain resorts I could get to and see a bit of countryside? I have been to the theme parks and am not interested in Hollywood.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 11:34 AM
xxx

You state that you don't want theme parks nor the Hollywood thing. Mountain resorts are really prevelant in the LA area. If you had more time, I'd suggest that you head up to Ojai or Santa Barbara for a few days, but you really are limited in terms of time.

Maybe you should just consider booking yourself a room in Santa Monica and enjoy the beach scene for a few days. Pasadena is also a nice place to visit.

San Pedro is not a nice place, and Long Beach is ok for residential living, but not too exciting from the tourist point of view.

Depending on when you cruise departs, another option might be to go over to Catalina Island for a few days and catch an early ferry back on the day of the cruise. The island is quaint (and quiet this time of year). There are some decent hotels and there's various topography to enjoy. No cars on the island and roaming buffalo on sections of the island.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 11:53 AM
kam

Our former home of Pasadena is a straight shot up the 110 freeway from San Pedro. It has a bit of a funky Old Pasadena area, some quite upscale shopping, lots of little restaurants, the Norton Simon (great) art museum, the Pacific Asia Museum, the Gamble (as in Proctor and) House, and in nearby San Marino is Huntington Library and Gardens (with Gainborough's Blue Boy) and other fantastic art. Our favorite hotel is the old restored Huntington which is now the Ritz Carlton. My next choice would be the DoubleTree next to pretty City Hall. You'll find plenty to do in this area.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 12:08 PM
xxx

While I love Pasadena, I don't know if I would call the Old Town area funky. It's a far more traditional and common shopping district than say areas like Melrose and Venice.

I think Pasadena would be a great area to stay, but be forewarned that it's not all that close to San Pedro, especially if there's traffic. Californians think nothing of driving an hour both ways for dinner. But people from other areas are horrified by the amount of driving that we're accustomed to. If you're not bothered by driving and you don't have to board very early in the morning, Pasadena would be a nice choice.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Tom

If you're going to be in town for a few days, be sure to check out the Getty Center. LA actually has some wonderful museums to choose from and you might even look into getting tickets to see either Lion King or Aida. Both will be playing when you're in town.

Did your travel agent or cruise line offer any suggestions on lodging? Sometimes they know of hotels that give discounts to cruise travelers.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 12:26 PM
LizF

Thank you all for your help - does anyone know where or how to get tickets to Aida? I would love to see it as I missed it when we had a performance here.
Thanks in advance

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 12:30 PM
c

Here's a website for more info on Aida:

http://www.taperahmanson.com/ahmanso...asp?showid=153

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 05:08 PM
kam

xxx, maybe you're right about distances. My neighbor in Pasadena used to drive to Long Beach to the dentist. And, Old Pasadena is a bit funky, certainly not Hollywood or Venice, but still interesting. If Aida is at the Ahmanson, Pasadena would be a good choice too. Or stay somewhere like the Checkers in downtown to access Pasadena and the Getty museum. Sorry, I'm starting to confuse this. Whatever LizF decides,I would recommend she rent a car.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Tom

LA's downtown has typically been less than exciting. But it is finally seeing a resurgance. There are a number of people moving into this housing market, with great demand for lofts. The Checker's Hotel would be a nice choice for the weekend. It's a nice hotel. You could walk over to the downtown museums. Your'e always within an easy drive to the Getty Center. And you can always take the blue line railway to Hollywood and look around or head up to Universal Studios for an evening to walk around City Walk. And there are a number of restaurants to choose from in the downtown area. Everything from the casual, but good Koo Koo Roo chicken, California Pizza Kitchen Engine House No. 28 to a more upscale steakhouse Nick & Stef's Steakhouse (also in NYC & Chicago).