Hotels in Chinle, AZ

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Chinle, AZ

Looking for opinions on Holiday Inn, Best Western and Thunderbird lodge in Chinle. Which is newest or most recently renovated? Any big differences between them for a winter stay?
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM

I have driven through the area several times but have not stayed at any of them. They are all in the same area and appear to be pretty much the same.

Check out Tripadvisor.com

None of them get any kind of great write ups. They are "a place to sleep" and not much more.

I doubt any have been recently renovated nor are they "new"

Cold in winter in Chinle.

Deb
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM

The Best Western was OK if a little worn, in the older two-level motel style where all rooms open to the outdoors, not like newer BWs with interior corridors. Had amazingly blue cornmeal for breakfast in the restaurant, and the service there was great. (This was in Spring 2007.)
Can't say how BW differs from the other two, but both of those are closer to the entrance of Canyon de Chelly.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn 2 years ago and found it quite nice. One extra is that their laundry room was free, so we got some clothes washed. The room was clean and comfortable, the pool nice and the restaurant probably the best in Chinle. We were able to arrange our tour of the Canyon right in the Holiday Inn gift shop. We would definitely stay there again.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:12 PM

BW and HI are by the entrance while Thunderbird lodge is the one with the park service and is considered the hub of the tours and such. I've stayed twice at thunderbird and it was, as everyone has mentioned, just a place to sleep.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM

I've stayed at all three multiple times ... the BW Junction Inn is good, with a good restaurant (probably the best restaurant in the area). But close to the main highway and pretty busy.

Holiday Inn is the newest (by at least 20 years ... the first few years I went there it wasn't even built) so more modern. We liked it fine, equal to BW, maybe a better bet if you want something new. Seemed a bit noiser because the rooms open into a hallway (the others are motels with the rooms opening outside).

Thunderbird has more charm and is a bit more out-of-the way. But the oldest rooms. The quietest of the three, at least during our visits.

Any of them are adequate, depending on what you want. I'd probably pick the least expensive. If they were all the same price I'd probaby pick the Thunderbird first, but there's not that much difference.

Bill