Best Hotel to stay at Canyon de Chelly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have gotten so many mixed responses. Any opinions on which is the nicest hotel to stay when visiting Canyon de Chelly? The Thunderbird Lodge, Best Western, or The Holiday Inn? Information and personal opinions appreciated!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM

It's a beautiful destination, wish I were going there again soon.

I went there in April 2000 and the only room my friend and I could get was at Thunderbird Lodge, having passed Best Western and Holiday Inn because one was full and the other, way out of our league, budget-wise. Thunderbird was fine for a night and it was either that or turn around and drive Lord knows how many miles back to?? Glad we didn't have to rely on the food for more than one night. It was adequate, but then IMO all you need is a clean bed, a shower, and coffee in the morning. Hoteliers at Canyon De Chelly know they have a captive audience, so to speak, and there's not much choice, hence the prices. We stayed there in order to see the Canyon and the tour is spectacular.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Stay at Thunderbird and just like the experience of a "historic" motel.....nothing in these areas are anything to write home about, you just get what you get, food is the same, it ain't gourmet, but it's just an experience that you might not get again.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:39 AM

We stayed at the Holiday inn and it's great. Large swimming pool,near the park entrance,very nice native american service in the restaurant.Paul
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM

We stayed at the Thunderbird, and while OK for a night or 2, I would recommend the Holiday Inn just down the road. I thought the room was a bit "worn", although clean ... just felt like staying in an older motel room that needs some updating. I really didn't find staying there much of an "experience" and would have preferred the Holiday Inn.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was acceptable. They had a nice breakfast buffet...not much else to choose from IMO.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:12 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was just fine - would definitely stay there again. The rooms were great and clean. The restaurant was good and the Holiday Inn has a free (yes free) laundry room. Remember that the reservation is dry so if you want alcohol you have to bring it. You're actually not even supposed to drink on the reservation so we just had some wine in our room. We loved Canyon de Chelly - enjoy!