Hotels & tipping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Larry

Hotels & tipping

any info on New Yorker in Mahattan and general tipping rates in NYC

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Howard

Usually $1 per bag for the bellman, 50 cents to $1 for a doorman getting you cab.
Tips for a concierge vary depending on the services provided.
What else?

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Ken

For pity's sake, don't forget the maid!
You can choose whether to tip her (always a her) daily or at the end of the stay. It should be $2-5/day, depending on the hotel and how much mess you leave for her (e.g., some places with kitchenettes might mean you leave her dishes to do).

Tipping in restaurants is now pretty much set at 18%, but 15-20% is okay. I generally go 20 because it's so much easier to computer and then I deduct "points" (dollars, cents) for anything that wasn't up to snuff.

Tipping the concierge for anything he/she does for you is important because not tipping the concierge will get you in trouble with everyone else in the hotel.

If you do curbside check-in at the airport when you leave, be very sure to tip the guys $1/bag if you want to have a prayer of seeing the bag at the other end.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Cally

The New Yorker is a Ramada, which means it has some pretty standard amenities and features. See website: http://www.hotelnyr.com/ -- & doesn't look like a kitchenette-type of place, Ken, but maybe in the executive suites. What did you want to know about it? It's an old hotel very much in the middle of things, has apparently be remodeled, updated, is pretty much for the business traveler.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Howard

Ken is right. I did forget about housekeeping, though I think $5 a day is a bit high normally. $1-2 a day is the standard. Many people leave this gratuity by the day, since the chances are you'll have different people cleaning your room during your stay.