Reload this Page >

Hotels Allegro/Burnham in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Lynn

Anyone familiar with these hotels and their locations? The Allegro is situated on West Randolph; the Burnham is on the corner of State/West Washington in the Reliance Building. We'll be visiting family who work in the financial district. Thanks.

Old May 7th, 2001, 11:08 AM
patg

Both are centrally located in downtown Chciago. I live here, and so have not seen the rooms, but both hotels were completely gutted and redone recently (Allegro about 3-4 years ago, Burnham last year). I like the style of the Burnham better; it is a small boutique hotel and closer to the major museums, shopping and Michigan Avenue. Also, the Allegro is in the financial district of downtown which is very quiet (though still safe) after dark.

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:34 AM
amy

I walk by the Allegro often during lunch and have noticed that they seem to be doing major constuction outside, so if you decided to stay there, be sure to ask about the noise factor.

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:36 AM
IGNACIO

I was at the Burnham one week ago and it is excellent.Good services, good views, excellent located...GREAT.
I booked it via www.expedia.com and I obtained excellent rates.
It has the atmosphere of the 20īs but with the standards of XXI century

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:21 AM
gina

The Burnham is newer and the decor is dark, sophisticated, almost clubby. The Atwood Cafe in the hotel is a chic place for outdoor dining or drinks and it is located right across from Marshall Field's if you are in the mood to do some shopping at a Chicago institution.

The Allegro has more of a wild, colorful, funky decor - big chairs upholstered in bright velvets, that kind of thing. It's near the theatre district but that's about it - it would be further away from "typical" tourist destinations like Michigan Avenue, etc. I don't think the 312 Restaurant there is as good as Atwood and it is absolutely PACKED prior to the shows, so if you want dinner there, make reservations!

Personally, I'd prefer the Burnham.

Old May 11th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Jeanette

The Allegro actually IS cheek to jowl with the Cadillac Palace theater so I believe that would be terrific for seeing the play, but if you were coming in and out with a vehicle- it would make it much more difficult.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Kathryn

Just made reservations for an excellent art museum package at the Burnham. The in house reservations were charming, helpful and gave me an even better deal on the package. It is so rare to get good customer service. I am looking forward to our visit there.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:04 PM
betsy

I got engaged at the Burnham. The iron work on the elevators has been declared a Chicago landmark. Excellent choice, as you'll be near State and Randolph.