Hotel suggestions etc - overnighter in SF

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel suggestions etc - overnighter in SF

In November, my hubby and I will have one night & the next day in SF on our way back to the UK from Hawaii. We'll be arriving mid-evening and leaving the following evening. Could anyone suggest a nice hotel (up to around $200, more if it's really amazing!) which would be easy to get to from the airport (but not an airport hotel) but from which we would be well-located to do a brief bit of sightseeing the next day? Also - any suggestions on how to spend the day - we like 'culture' and 'scenery', if that narrows it down at all! Thanks in advance....
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:29 PM

If you want to see the city, you probably want to stay downtown, perhaps on Nob Hill. Downtown is about 20 miles or so from SFO. I think that the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental has an Internet rate of $159 or thereabouts; it's a very nice hotel in a good location. You can walk to the Cable Car lines, Chinatown, etc.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:44 PM
SAB

Although I'm not a big fan of tours, this might be the best solution with only one day in SF--it would give you an overview of highlights. Sorry I can't recommend any specific tour company, but I would suggest those that use smaller tour vans versus big buses. If you are going to take BART into the City from SFO I would suggest a hotel such as W or the Hyatts which are closer to BART stations. If you are going to take a cab, any downtown hotel such at the Mark would be fine.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate your input. The Mark Hopkins looks very nice - tempted to go for that. I just wonder whether the Fisherman's Wharf area would be better as a base, even if only for the day? Is it really tacky round there? I think all we will really aim to do is go over Golden Gate Bridge and generally stroll.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:34 PM
E

Fisherman's Wharf is fairly tacky--fun to visit, but personally I'd rather stay somewhere else, if for no other reason than that(good)restaurant choices near the Wharf are limited.