Hotel Search in NYC-Transportation

Apr 22nd, 2001, 03:15 AM
Christine Defregger

Hotel Search in NYC-Transportation

We are planning a trip to NYC in December 2001 for one week. I have studied much hotels and I think the Beacon would be a good choice and I am also interested in the Skyline Hotel. The only problem I have is the transportation to Times Square, 5th Ave and to most ot the places of interest. I mean in December it will become early dark in the evening and so I don't know if it is good to walk back to the Hotel or to go by Subway. I mean is this safe?
I also can take a taxi, but I think it would not be easy to get one at Christmas time in the evening or in the nigth, after the end of a Broadway show.
Another question I have is how safe is to book a hotel directly or with some reservation services. I am afraid that I have booked the Hotel in advance and when I will come to NYC (we are from Europe) there is no room vacant for me or I have to pay the room twice or so. I could be, that I am too anxious but I have no practice in this matter.
Many thanks for your help!!!!!
Kind regards
Christine

Apr 22nd, 2001, 03:24 PM
jjj

Christine,

I have made several reservations over the internet and all have worked out very well.

Just last week I tried priceline.com for a week's stay in NYC in May. I entered a price of $110 per night and chose the neighborhood in which I wanted to stay (Midtown East, Midtown South, and Midtown West - although I could have specified only one if I wanted). The result was $110 per night at the very nice Shelburne Murray Hill - near Chrysler Bldg., Grand Central Station.

I believe that most people, once they actually get to New York City, and ride on the subways, feel much more at ease about doing so. You are correct that it will be getting dark early at that time of year, but there will be many people on the streets and on the subways. My advice is to select a hotel that is within a one or two block walk from a subway station.

Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:00 PM
rqf

Beacon - good choice located in a good residential neighborhood on the Upper West Side. It is 1 1/2 miles due north of Times Square. Subway and buses are very convenient to the hotel. Can walk in area, day and night. Lots of restuarants in the area. Skyline is on 10th Avenue aand 50th, three long blocks to Broadway.
In terms of distance just under 1/2 mile.
Subway is not that conveient. Nearest station is at 50th and 8th Avenue. There is a cross town bus that stops near the hotel. The walk back to the hotel, after dark, from Broadway is safe enough but you won't find too many people on the street. Hotel itself is okay. Assuming prices are comparable I would pick the Beacon. A more interesting area.

Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:05 PM
Owen O'Neill

Based on location and reputation I would opt for the Beacon. The subways are totally safe to take in the evening in all the areas you're likely to travel in (at any time of night in my opinion). As previously mentioned, the Beacon is in a residential area and you'll find many people on that line at night.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:14 AM
Philip

There are many tourists that come to NYC in December, so make your reservations and buy your tickets early. Since there are so many tourists, the streets are crowded and so even after dark there will be lots of people around.

I would opt for the Beacon. It is in a good neighborhood and you can ride an express subway (no stops) from 42nd Street (Times Square) to 72nd Street which is only 3 blocks from the Beacon. Also the city bus is very efficient and safe.

When you reserve your hotel, make sure that you have a confirmation from the Beacon. With this confirmation number, they are obligated to provide you with a room. If you book online or through another source, call the Beacon a few days after the reservation is made and verify that it has been made.

The biggest thing is don't worry! Just enjoy yourself and have a good time.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:42 AM
Steve

I travel to NYC a few times a year and often use Quickbook.com. They have very good rates and the benefit of this service is that they do not require full payment in advance. They guarantee the room and you get a confirmation number. At the end of the stay, you pay your bill as you would had you booked directly with the hotel.

As for the subway, you will feel safe until around 8pm.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:48 AM
Caitlin

I have to disagree with the last poster re the subway; in that area (Times Square-Beacon) and at that busy time of year, you needn't limit you subway-riding hours so much. You'll be fine in the subway until at least 11 PM; I wouldn't hesitate (personally) to take it back to the Beacon after a Broadway show, especially if the stations are busy.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:52 AM
AC

Just to add to Caitlin's post
The subways in that area are busy all the time! Just use your common sense and be aware of your surroundings.
I've ridden at all times of the day and night in all areas and feel pretty confident. Don't forget to get your MetroCards as soon as you get here!
Welcome to NYC!

Search this Thread