Hotel pool in washington DC

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel pool in washington DC

Hope this isn't too silly of a question, I'm be in DC August and was wondering, is it worth paying $10-$15 extra for a hotel with a outdoor pool? My original thought was yes but it seems to be raining on and off.

Also, any good restaurants to recommend (non-chain).

thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:59 PM

If you like French food, try Lavandou.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Only if you are someone who actually swims, and not just hang out by the pool. Hanging out anywhere outdoors in DC in august is not fun, but being in the water can feel cool. Re restaurants, what neighborhood(s), and what kind of food/price level are you seeking?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:17 AM
emd

Actually, I am just outside DC and work in DC and we are having a very mild summer. Have hardly broken a sweat, even when gardening. No really high heat and high humidity days (except 4th of July weekend) and I can
even recall many days w/the bad air warnings like we usually have frequently in summer. It is raining in late afternoons or evenings now, but the showers are brief and cool it off even more. My kids are complaining that the water in the outdoor pool at the summer camp they go to is a bit cool for them on some days. Very unusual, but a welcome relief.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:18 AM
emd

oops, I meant to say I can't recall many bad air days.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for their responses.

I will be in DC for 4 days in the Dupont Circle area - thinking of either staying at the Churchill Hotel, St. Gregory or the Omni Shoreman (more uptown) since these hotels currently have deals for under $100
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:37 AM

There is a good likelihood of rain almost any afternoon during the DC summer, but that usually means a quick thunderstorm at rush hour, so this week's weather should not be an important factor in your hotel choice for August.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Well, the Omni is near the zoo if you are planning to go (and it's free) but otherwise there is not much up that way. But, it is one block from a metro stop. The St Gregory is in the West End, between Georgetown & downtown, a nice central location. I have never heard of the Churchhill.

Restaurant recommendations are:
Red Sage - Southwestern
Austin Grill - local chain but fantastic Mexican
Georgia Brown's - Southern and the absolute best Sunday brunch
Kinkead's - American Continental - highly recommended
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM

A great restaurant, if you like Mediterranean food, is Zaytinya. Their speciality is "mezze" (small plates -- think tapas) of foods from Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, etc. It is one of the best-reviewed restaurants in town...if that's a consideration, and quite close to the Spy Museum and City Museum.
I'm one of those people who typically save going out to eat for when I travel, but I make an exception for Zaytinya and have loved it the four times I've been there.