Hotel needed where 476 and 78 intersect in Allentown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heading from Rochester NY to Pikesville, PA tomorrow. From what I understand the best route will be 81 south out of syracuse to 476 south to 78 west(Allentown area). I will then head west on 78 and get off at the first exit which is 100 and head south. We need to get a hotel for tomorrow night in this area, (where 476 and 78 meet in Allentown). Would like something nicer than a Days Inn or Comfort Inn but would like it to be with 10 minutes or so of this area. Does anybody have any suggestion?
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:10 PM

Looks bleak, Milke...
COMFORT INN POCONO MOUNTAIN 0SW
RAMADA LAKE HARMONY POCONO 5E
DAYS INN POCONOS 6W
BLAKESLEES MADISON INN 12E
BEST WESTERN INN AT BLAKESLEE POCONOS 17E
Take your pick!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 12:18 AM

A slightly more out of the way alternative is to pick up 22 East to 378 and spend a night at the Radisson in Historic Bethlehem, which is worth a visit. It's not that complicated to get there and you could park the car, walk around the beautifully maintained historic area, have a bite to eat at the Bethlehem Brewworks. For more information:
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Or (if that's too complicated to paste):
www.radisson.com/bethlehempa

FYI, the ride down Route 100 is pretty scenic, you should enjoy that.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to TxTravelPro and Btilke. The Bethlehem options looks interesting. I will check those out quickly this AM before we leave.
Thanks for the help again to both of you!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 07:24 AM

You've probably left already but...
Another note: On Route 100, just where it meets with Route 29 (outside Macungie) is the CountrySide (or Countrytime, I forget which) drive-in restaurant. Make a quick stop for some of the BEST soft ice cream around. Very creamy and delicious. You can sit on the benches (which are kind of tatty, they've been there forever) and get a really nice view of the valley.
Also, when you bear right at that point of Route 100, be very alert. It's a tricky intersection with cars coming up the hill on Route 29 pretty fast.
If you do stop in Bethlehem, pop into the Moravian Book and Cook Shop across the street from the Radisson. The Moravian Book Shop is the oldest continuously operating bookshop in the United States and its gift shop is outstanding. There are also a few art galleries along Main Street.
In the historic district, take a walk through the Moravian Cemetery (God's Acre). Many Mohicans are buried there (having converted to the Moravian sect as the Moravians were one of the few to actually keep to their agreements with the Native Americans). There are also a few sad rows of children who died in the terrible influenza epidemic of 1918. The Sun Inn has an interesting history (Dickens stopped there and said it had some of the best beer he ever tasted). The Old Moravian Chapel is now used only for weddings and Christenings (we were married there in 1987).
Enjoy the drive--I used to do that Syracuse-Lehigh Valley trip frequently during my SU days.