Hotel near Smithsonian?

Search

Hotel near Smithsonian?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel near Smithsonian?

We are planning a trip to DC and want to spend a lot of time at the Smithsonian museum. What hotels do you recommend that are close to the Smithsonian?
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 09:47 PM

The Smithsonian comprises not just one building but many, most of which are located on the National Mall. https://www.si.edu/museums. Which do you plan to visit?
If you look at this link: https://www.si.edu/visit/maps you will see there are metro stations close to many of the Smithsonian buildings. If you chose a hotel close to the Mall or close to a metro station, you will be able to easily visit these locations.

Old Sep 15th, 2022, 11:52 AM

When I want to find a hotel close to something I like to use Google Maps search feature.

How about the Kimpton Monaco in Chinatown?
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 12:38 PM

KTravel, the map you linked is an excellent resource for a visitor to DC intending to go to the Smithsonian museums. Thank you!
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 12:41 PM

I am going to assume you mean the two on the mall. This is not first hand knowledge, saraho, but there is a Holiday Inn on C St that looks like it is in walking distance. Pre-covid, I almost stayed there but chose to stay closer to the group I was going to meet.

Should you stay on a metro line, my hub and I decided that the Federal Triangle metro stop was an easier walk than the Smithsonian stop. We went to see the Julia Child exhibit!

If you had other Smithsonians in mind, please say.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
KTravel's idea to look at a map of the National Mall is an excellent idea to situate yourself. With the US Capitol on the east end of the Mall and the Lincoln Memorial on the west end of the Mall, a popular area for visitors immediately to the north is Penn Quarter. The Hotel Monaco, mentioned above, is a great choice and is directly across the street from the Smithsonian American Art Museum & the National Portrait Gallery. There are lots of good hotel choices in that neighborhood along with some excellent restaurants and close access to 3 Metro stations.

South of the Mall is where the Holiday Inn on C Street (mentioned above) is located along with a number of other well known chain hotels and a lot of federal buildings. There is one well situated Metro station but fewer evening restaurants unless you go to The Wharf which is located in the Southwest Waterfront neighborhood..

One additional comment I would make is that once you get to the Mall, the shortest distance between two points may not be and is probably not going to be by Metro. There are 8 museums and galleries surrounding the Mall (Air and Space is still closed for renovation) so the shortest distance and travel time may easily be by foot. I recommend scouting the places you're most interested in and mapping the walking distances.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 05:21 PM

I stayed once south of the Mall at the old L'Enfant Plaza Hotel (now called Hilton Washington DC National Mall). At the time the location was a little sketchy after the mall shops closed (evenings and weekends) and I don't know if it's improved. It is right over a Metro stop and easy walk to the Mall sights.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 15th, 2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, everyone.. I am going to look at that map to figure out exactly where we want to stay.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 05:10 AM

the shortest distance between two points may not be and is probably not going to be by Metro
This could be more strongly worded, it’s usually about day 3 tourists realize the metro is a time waster and not their friend. The red circulator bus is the tourist’s best friend. https://living-in-washingtondc.com/p...ulator-map.pdf
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

We are going to stay at the Riggs Hotel. We were able to get a lower price than at Hotel Monaco, and it is close to the Portrait Gallery, one of the museums we want to visit.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Saraho
We are going to stay at the Riggs Hotel. We were able to get a lower price than at Hotel Monaco, and it is close to the Portrait Gallery, one of the museums we want to visit.
It's a beautiful hotel.

The Kogod Courtyard between the Portrait Gallery and the American Art Museum is one of my favorite places in the city.
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

DH graduated from Corcoran so we will be in his old neighborhood. Lots of interesting things to see!