Won Wave Permit on first try, now what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2022, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last month I tried for The Wave online lottery on a whim. And, Surprise! I won the permit for a date after Christmas. I really didn't expect to win on the first try. Is it because most people don't want to go during winter months?

My family hikes each year, but not extensively. We have so far only done moderately difficult trails. And the longest trail we did was only about 6 miles. So now I am in a dilemma. Don't want to give up the permit, but a bit worried if we can actually do it. My husband is a veteran, with good navigational skills. He is very fit and active. My three children ( 22, 18 and 13) are all fairly active. But I am not. I guess I have four months to train? I am also a bit concerned with the weather. Don't think I will enjoy hiking in the snow. And I heard the drive to the trail head in winter can be dangerous. Alas, to accept, or to give up, that is the question.

All my friends are encouraging me to accept the permit. If we accept the permit, we will have to fly from New Jersey to AZ. Given we are not avid hikers, I don't want to do any other moderate or difficult hikes prior to the Wave. But neither do I want to fly all the way there just do Wave only. Will a tour of the Antelope Canyon prior to the Wave tire us out? Or should I just visit the Grand Canyon South Rim? Or drive through Monument Valley? Maybe visit Flagstaff or Phoenix instead? My husband and I have been to Grand Canyon before, but not the other places. The kids haven't even been to GC.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 06:08 AM

Wow you should have bought a lottery ticket!

I can't help you with details about the Wave but as far a what to see nearby, the town of Kanab is kind of cute, and the Animal Rescue organization Best Friends is neaby in Angel Canyon. You are about 90 minutes from Springdale (Zion), the Vermillion Cliffs/Marble Canyon. 89A is open during winter but watch for storms. And you have listed a lot of other possible Arizona sights.

Note that if the access road is wet you can't go even with an appropriate 4WD.

I dunno, if you were lucky enough to get the permit, maybe all will go well? I would go with two plans, one with The Wave and one without.
Maybe training for 4 months isn't a bad idea regardless. Or you could hang out at Best Friends while the others hike.

https://bestfriends.org/sanctuary

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 5th, 2022 at 06:12 AM.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 11:31 AM

I've been to the Wave several times. Fall-Winter-Spring is the best. I would not go there in the summer because of the heat. There is always the chance of rain or snow. If there is a storm in the area I would consider cancelling the hike because of the possible bad condition of the road. This would be a last minute decision.

The dirt road "House Rock Valley Road" is usually not bad but becomes impassable if they get much rain. Check with the visitor center in Kanab before you go in. They can also give you instructions and maps for the hike. There is a parking lot with pit toilets at the trail head. You can camp there the night before if you wish or just stay at a motel in Kanab or Page. There is also a camping location a little farther down the road about where the Arizona/Utah line is. This has picnic tables, rest rooms, and can handle camp trailers.

Looking at the tracks from my previous trips it looks like about an 8 mile hike round trip. The hike starts out with a good trail but after a while you need to be able to use a GPS to keep in the right direction. Again the Kanab Visitor center can help.

If you don't have a GPS I strongly recommend you get one and learn to use it. I use a Garmin Oregon 700t. The 't' stands for Topo and includes a map. I recommend the Garmin Oregon 600 and 700 series. Take extra batteries. Cell phone coverage is VERY SPOTTY throughout this area so don't count on it.

The Coyote Buttes includes North Coyote Buttes (with the Wave) and South Coyote Buttes. Here are some of my photos from there:
https://michaelstump.smugmug.com/Coyote-Buttes/

Start early, it isn't a spot you want to be hiking in after dark. Wear a hat, hiking boots, and appropriate clothing. Take plenty of water.

Other things to do there:
  • ON HW89 between the turn-off to the Wave and Page there are a couple road side locations where you can do some short hikes to see some Hodos. The best is almost opposite the BLM Visitor Center a couple miles east of the turn-off to the Wave but it is not always open. There is another Visitor Center in Big Water that is worth visiting. This visitor center concentrates on dinosaur fossils that are found in the area.
  • Carl Hayden Visitor Center at the dam on Lake Powell. You get to see how low the this lake and Lake Meade are.
  • Horse Shoe Bend just south of Page. Gets very crowded and is best early in the morning.
  • Antelope Canyon Tours just outside of Page. Guided tours only.
  • Lees Ferry on HW89A. Very scenic spot with the cliffs and Colorado River. Note if you continue south on House Rock Valley Road you end up on HW89A. There is also a Condor Viewing location toward the south end of House Rock Valley Road but a better spot to view them is the old bridge near Lees Ferry where the road crosses the Colorado River
When I'm in the area I stay at the Page Days Inn. Clean and has a good breakfast. The Dam Bar & Grill in Page is good.

There is a lot more in this area but you need a high clearance vehicle so I'm not mentioning them.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 11:37 AM

ROAD CONDITIONS

The road to reach the permit area is unpaved and periodically maintained. Most of the time, two-wheel-drive, high-clearance vehicles can get to the trailhead. However, four-wheel-drive, high-clearance vehicles may be required when the road is wet. During the rainy season and the winter months, the road may become impassable for all vehicles, even those with four-wheel-drive.

House Rock Valley Road: House Rock Valley Road in Utah from U.S. Highway 89 to Stateline Campground is not periodically maintained. We recommend high clearance four-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive vehicles to navigate rough, rocky and sandy roads. The road is impassable when wet.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 12:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
MikeS: What gorgeous photos!
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
MikeS: What gorgeous photos!
Thanks
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you MikeS for the detailed advice and suggestion. Wow, several times there. Those photos you took are wonderful! Hopefully we won't have to cancel the hike due to the weather/road condition. I do want to see for my self.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, mlgb, for the suggestions at nearby places. My kids said the same thing about buying lottery. And you are right, start training and get into better shape is good regardless.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 07:06 PM

If you click on my user name, you will see a trip report for Kanab. We didn't get a Wave permit but found plenty of other things to do. I live in Utah and if I got a Wave permit, I would do almost anything to make that work!!!!!!!! So take it and run!!!!!
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StantonHyde
If you click on my user name, you will see a trip report for Kanab. We didn't get a Wave permit but found plenty of other things to do. I live in Utah and if I got a Wave permit, I would do almost anything to make that work!!!!!!!! So take it and run!!!!!
Thank you very much. I will check out your trip report. We are incline to make the trip. Just wish the airfare is less expensive.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 12:36 PM

Assuming House Rock Valley Rd is passable, another hike from the same trail head (but I wouldn't do it the same day) is Wire Pass slot canyon. It's a flat walk to the start of the slot and you can go as far as you want. One tricky spot has had a ladder for the past few years. If you can, try to go to the T junction with Buckskin Gulch as it's a spectacular spot. Roundtrip to that junction is about 4 miles but it's mostly flat. A day use permit is required and paid electronically which can be done at the trail head (somewhat spotty cell service) or in advance.

If House Rock Valley Rd is not passable, there's a short hike to the Toadstool hoodoos right off of 89.

I'm not sure if you plan to base in Kanab or Page. Other things to do near Kanab are Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park and tours/short hikes at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Near Page there's Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend. You could even make a day trip to Zion National Park from Kanab though it could be very busy at that time of year and you'll have to shuttle in Zion Canyon.
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Patty, thank you very much. Especially for the idea when House Rock Valley Road is impassable. I know Arizona and Utah have lots of great places to see, and I have only seen little. So even if we end up not able to do Wave due to road or weather condition, I am sure we will see some beautiful scenery.
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 07:54 AM

I have heard you can hire a guide to take you to The Wave: https://thewaveaz.com/hireaguide. We were considering doing this if we won permits to The Wave (but didn't get them.)