Hotel in Pittsburgh Pa?

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:35 AM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Pittsburgh Pa?

Please recommend a nice hotel central to touring Pittsburgh for a day and spending a day at Fallingwater.

Any suggestions for what to visit while in Pittsburgh for such a brief period will be appreciated.

We love scenery, nature and history.

Thank you.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:15 AM

We did this about 5 years ago but we had children with us so we visited the Science Museum. We're going again for a wedding the first weekend of July and I think we will visit the Warhol Museum this time. You could go to a baseball game if they are in town since the ballpark is right downtown.

I think we are staying at the Sheraton on the Southside. The hotel was recommended by the family of the bride. Last time we were there we had dinner at a very small Italian place called Bruschetta - it was good.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:24 AM
syd

I'd recommend the Renaissance in downtown.

The Phipps Conservatory is a beautiful garden conservatory. One of my favorite places in town.

If you're visiting Pittsburgh within next couple of weeks, the Three Rivers Arts fest is happening. Great free evening outdoor concerts.

Are you aware of another Frank Lloyd Wright house, not too far from Fallingwater? It's called Kentuck Knob and is also worth seeing.

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thank you both. I guess because of the festival, everything I have called on has been fully booked for June 10. Can you recommend anything (b&b or hotel would be fine) between Pittsburgh and Fallingwater? Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM

There is not much in the way of hotels between downtown Pittsburgh and Fallingwater. Mostly small chain hotels or mom and pop operations. No B&B's that I know of. However, if you are looking for an area where you could go into downtown Pittsburgh and still have access to Route 51 South to Fallingwater there is a Marriott Spring Hill Suites on Lebanon Church road in West Mifflin, about 8 miles south of downtown Pittsburgh and probably 40 miles from Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. Easy access to Route 51 North and South. I agree with Syd, Kentuck Knob is definitely worth touring. Beautiful grounds surround the Wright homesite and the architecture of the home is quite interesting. It is not very far from Fallingwater and Ohiopyle is right down the road. If you wanted to stay closer to Fallingwater there is Nemacolin Woodlands and the Route 40 Chalk Hill Lodge both within minutes of Fallingwater. Nemacolin is quite upscale while the Chalk Hill Lodge is more rustic.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
syd

If you like B&B's, did you happen to check the Priory on the Northside of Pittsburgh. Never stayed there, but looks interesting.

Nemacolin Woods is a great suggestion. If you like white water rafting, you're not far from the Youghegheny
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:25 PM

Check the Holdiday Inn Express on the Southside. Also, all the Greentree chain hotels have good access to the highway.

Visit Schenley Park and the Phipps Conservancy. Nice outdoor spaces in Pittsburgh.

If you go to the Warhol, the Mattress Factory Museum is great for Installation art, and St Anthony's Chapel is a must see. All are on the Northside.

Mellon Park is a beauty, with its lovely Rose Garden.

A day spent in Oakland can include Phipps, Schenley Park, the Nationality Rooms at the Cathedral of Learning, and if you start early, you can begin by touring the market oriented Strip District, and have breakfast at the great greasy spoons there: JoJo's is our favorite,and Pamela's is less greasy. This is a fun area. Not open on Sundays or late in the day.

The next day, you could go to Fallingwater (reserve), Kentuck Knob, and Ohiopyle State Park. This is a good long day. A nice lunch or dinner can be had at the Caddy Shack at Nemacolin Woodlands. I've eaten everywhere in the area, and this is the best for the price.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM

I forgot to add that there is a National battle site in the area of Fallingwater, and several French and Indian War historic sites.

If you can afford it, Nemacolin Woodlands is very nice. A bit weirdly decorated for my tastes, but very comfortable, with loads of facilities and amenities. Two days in the area would not be too much.

Skip the Summit Inn. Chalk Hill Lodge is ok for a budget accomodation. Ive stayed there 3 times and it is ok.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, they are so appreciated. I did call the Priory (sp?) and they were full. I checked on the others that were recommended and decided to try Priceline. I got the Marriot Center for $55.00 and I am happy with that. Thanks again!