Louisville, KY Hotel in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Louisville, KY for the 4th of July until the 7th of July. Any suggestions for a nice hotel during that time or "not to miss" attractions? 4 adults and one child who are from California and have never been to Kentucky.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:55 AM

The Brown Hotel and the Seelbach Hotel are the nicest downtown options. The Seelbach was mentioned in "The Great Gatsby" (as the sight of a debutante ball).

Louisville is most famous for the Derby and baseball bats, so don't miss the Kentucky Derby Museum, Churchill Downs, and the Louisville Slugger Museum. You should also drive east 70 miles to visit the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.

Enjoy Kentucky!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Gekko - Do you think the Brown and the Seelbach are child (10 yrs old) friendly? I was a little worried they were too formal for a child and thought about maybe the Hyatt downtown. What do you think? Do you think a child would enjoy the Riverboat ride? Thanks for the suggestions - I'm pretty excited about the trip.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:14 PM

I've not even been in the Brown or the Seelbach, but I stayed in the Louisville, KY downtown Hyatt just last weekend. I think it would be fine for a kid. A couple of blocks over is a Courtyard by Marriott that would be convenient too.

Hopefully by the time you arrive in July, "4th Street Live!" will be open. It's going to be a downtown entertainment complex: Hard Rock Café, a big Border's book store and a bowling lounge is what I've heard so far. There's supposed to be other things too.

As mentioned the Louisville Slugger bat tour is very interesting. You actually get to see them make bats. I've taken my niece's & nephew on that. Don't accept the free bat at the end though. It's amazing how much trouble a kid can get into with a miniature baseball bat.

Close to the Slugger tour is a science museum with an IMAX theater. It was a lot of fun with interactive exhibits, etc.

If you can get a boat ride on the Ohio for an hour or so you should be OK. I remember my parents taking me and my two brothers for a 3 hour Belle of Louisville ride when I was around 13. After an hour of watching the scenery go by, it became progressively more dull. Now I'm sure I'd love it especially if it has a bar.

There are nominal to free trolleys that run north/south & east/west routes downtown. The N/S one goes right in front of the Hyatt. It also hits the Brown and Seelbach as I recall. The E/W one goes by the Slugger tour and the science museum.

They've recently completed a minor league baseball park downtown. If you're lucky a game might be scheduled when you're there.

For the 1st time in my life I was in the Bardstown Rd. area southeast of downtown last weekend. It has a lot of funky restaurants, shops, drinking and dining. There's a trolley that runs up and down it, but unfortunately doesn't hook directly to the downtown trolleys. You could park at the Midcity Mall (I think that's the name) and catch the trolley there. Then you wouldn't have to hassle with driving on Bardstown. I was amazed at the amount of car traffic there at 2:00pm on a Saturday.

If you get a chance rent "The Insider" with Russell Crowe. It's an excellent movie about a whistle-blower and the tobacco industry. There are quite a few scenes in it of Louisville.

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:15 AM

The 2 nicest are absolutely the Seelbach and the Brown....but if you're just wanting a good hotel the aforementioned Hyatt near the Convention Cneter is a good bet with the kids.

A bargain if you wouldn't mind 1960's decor and ugliness would be the Galt House. It's close to the river and still somewhat central to the Downtown area
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Of course the Seelbach & Brown are appropriate for a 10 year old! The Hyatt is fine, but it's a Hyatt like any other. Both the Seelbach & Brown are unique, "old South" properties -- charming and beautiful.

Absulely, a ride on the Belle of Louisville is a treat for all ages.

Another movie filmed in Louisville -- the Bill Murray classic, "Stripes."
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. We are really looking forward to Kentucky and will post a report when we return. Thanks again.