Search

Hotel in La Jolla

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2000, 06:18 AM
Not Local

Hotel in La Jolla

Looking for a nice hotel in La Jolla that is suitable for an infant in the 200-250 range. Close to the beach is a must. Any suggestions?

Old May 16th, 2000, 06:25 AM
Have Fun

La Valencia! It is the absolute best, I've stayed there each time I've been in La Jolla and am more impressed each time. They have a website- www.lavalencia.com . Not sure what their current price structure is but I think it is in your range. It is right in the middle of everything- shopping, beach, restaurants. Have fun!

Old May 16th, 2000, 06:58 AM
martha python

Last I checked, LaV was more like $300 a night.

Old May 16th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Paul

You may want to consider the Sea Lodge. It is oceanfront in the La Jolla Shores area which is about a 3-5 minute drive from downtown La Jolla. There is a park next to the hotel with a playground. La Jolla Shores is more of a residential area with some fine restaurants and a great beach. The Sea Lodge should be within your price range.

Old May 18th, 2000, 05:03 AM
SDSam

The Sea Lodge is an excellent choice and is well within your price range. It also has an excellent restaurant.

Old May 19th, 2000, 12:23 PM
George

We stayed at a Best Western in downtown
LaJolla that was decent, included continental breakfast. Fay ave. just off Prospect, couple of blocks to the
Children's Beach. Good location if you're into the shopping/artsy stuff.
Many good restaurants within walking distance.

Old May 20th, 2000, 06:26 AM
Not Local

Thanks for the advice. We think we are going to dip into junior's college fund and take him to La V.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 04:08 PM
kate

La Valencia is not for children! Other e-mails offer great suggestions. If you want the beach (but remember the ocean water is very cold there), try Pacific Beach or Del Mar. Have Fun!

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:09 AM
NotLocal

kate-
I thought we had this all worked out and you throw this cryptic message at me w/o any explanation. Do they hate kids. I'm not real fond of them either, but I get by OK. Please explain ASAP if there's something we should know about. Thanks!

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:34 AM
TC

I agree with Kate. La Valencia is NOT for kids. The rooms are tiny - really tiny! They are packed with beautiful antique furniture to the exclusion of floor space. The atmosphere is old world charm - somewhat stuffy for little ones. Its very quiet - in a "kids should be seen and not heard" kind of way. The pool area is not designed for children to play. Its where adults sit quietly and read or sun. I didn't see one child during the entire week we stayed there. Don't get me wrong. I love LaV AND I love children. I just don't think junior will enjoy it here. I suggest you look into some of the other suggestions.

Old May 24th, 2000, 05:49 AM
SDSam

The ocean temperature is not very warm and rarely exceeds 70. Bear that in mind when deciding how important the beach is.

Old May 24th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Not Local

Neither my wife nor I are big surf swimmers and our 1 year old isn't going anywhere near the water. We do like to walk by and look out over the ocean. In fact, we like to be able to walk around and look at neat stuff period. An upscale place is a must. Hence, La V seemed to be the perfect place. It now sounds like La V is not the answer. This bites since I'm back to square one.

Old May 24th, 2000, 09:53 AM
Paul

My guess is that your 1 year old will not know the difference between one hotel and another. And with all due respect to the other posts, LV is one of the best and most popular hotels in San Diego and its hard for me to believe that families shy away from staying there. I think that your chances of a bad experience at La Valencia are small. At least I would hope so. Besides, if you don't like it, there are many other hotels in San Diego that you could move to. Good luck.

Old May 24th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Emily

I live in La Jolla and I think that the La Valencia is a perfect choice for what you plan to do. It's right in the middle of the most delightful part of the village, plenty of nice shops and restaurants around, one block from a lovely paddling beach for children, a beautiful seaside park and a breathtaking walk along the cliffs that ends with a sea lion "sanctuary". I don't think you could do better.

Old May 24th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Erica

we also were thinking of staying at La V, but are the rooms really TINY as mentioned in an earlier post?