Hotel in Key West

May 29th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Hotel in Key West

Can anyone recommend a decent but lower priced hotel in Key West in June? According to Travelaxe, I think we will have to settle for anything under $150 or so. However my eyes are blurring reading reviews and trying to decide what would be acceptable.

Debbie
May 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM

We stayed at the Seascape Tropical Inn. Their rates run around $150 in June - choose one of the upper rooms rather than the poolside rooms, which are smaller. As a bonus the rate includes breakfast, a continental plus which is more substantial than many other places in town. They are on the lower part of Duval Street, around the corner from the Hemingway House.
May 29th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Best Western Hybiscus.
May 30th, 2007, 06:13 AM

My Husband and I really enjoyed The Southern Most. And we did stay at the Sheraton a couple of times and really liked it too. Just don't eat there. Expensive and not very good. In fact we didn't care for the food there in Key West. The best think we had was the white cheese and garlic pizza on the beach made by a vendor in his pizza truck. We still talk about how great the pizza was.
May 30th, 2007, 06:23 AM

I also would recommend the Southermost Motel. It should fit into your price range. Check out this website:
http://www.southernmosthotel.com/
May 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM

The Ambrosia is a nice place. Their website shows rooms starting at $169.

http://www.ambrosiakeywest.com/reservation.php
May 30th, 2007, 09:31 AM

I agree with all the above posts. I normally suggest Best Western Hibiscus when someone is looking for a reasonably priced hotel. It's on Simonton just a block or two from the Atlantic. The Southernmost is in approximately the same location and also gets great reviews. The only catch with the Southernmost might be that Atlantic Shores (which is angled across the street from the Southernmost) is slated to be torn down any day now and the construction noise might be a problem. Ambrosia (and Ambrosia Too) both get good reviews and all these places are family-friendly.
May 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help. I checked Seascape Tropical, Best Western Hibiscus, Southernmost, and Ambrosia tonight - and they all look like great possibilities. The Best Western is probably slightly cheaper than the others - I used travelaxe to find a price for it of $147.71 including tax. The others were a little more and didn't include tax. However I am wondering if somewhere like the Southernmost or the others would be worth a little more due to charm. We are just going to be on Key West for one night so the price difference isn't quite as important.

Debbie
May 31st, 2007, 05:47 AM

You can get a nicer room for less money at the B&Bs. Some of them have great locations near Duval Street.

Keith
May 31st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Hooray - I finally stopped obsessing and made a reservation.

The Seascape only had larger rooms available at $189 for 3 people. The Southernmost was $159. The Ambrosia was $169.

I opted for the Best Western. With the AAA discount (AARP would have been the same), I got a rate of $116.10. And its cancellation privileges were more generous just in case we rework our plans.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Now - back to planning the actual days.

Debbie
May 31st, 2007, 12:42 PM

My husband & I just returned from Key West and we loved our stay at the Grand Guest House (as recommended on this site). We rented bikes & pedaled everywhere. The owners are super-nice and the price was reasonable. I posted a full review & photos on Tripadvisor. Here's their site - www.thegrandguesthouse.com
May 31st, 2007, 02:18 PM

I think you'll be real pleased with the Best Western Hibiscus. Apparently the rooms are large and the location is good - not too near noise, but not too far from the "action" to walk. I don't ever recall seeing a negative review of it.