COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hotel in Dallas/Fortworth?

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Dallas/Fortworth?

We will be spending one night in the Dallas area...hoping to see the Sixth Floor Museum one day and the Stockyards the next (or vice versa). Can anyone suggest a neighborhood that might be good to stay in that would be central to these two areas? I thought I might try Priceline to bid on a hotel, but didn't know which neighborhood to say. Thanks
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:21 AM
yk

Even though Dallas/Fort Worth is collectively known as DFW, the two cities are >30miles apart and can easily take an hour to drive from one to the other.

I would recommend you staying in Dallas itself, and drive over to FW the next day to visit the Stockyards.

You can stay in between (such as in Arlington), but I don't see any benefit to that.

On Priceline, you can pick Dallas Downtown. Most people get the Hyatt Regency (rated 4*) for $46/night. The Hyatt is located very close to the sixth floor museum.

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:36 AM

I'm going to recommend that you stay in Fort Worth and drive over for your day in Dallas. Fort Worth has a very vibrant and active downtown area called Sundance Square that has all sorts of restaurants and is very pedestrian-friendly. The Worthington is the best-known hotel in downtown Fort Worth. Others that are close are the Amerisuites Cityview, the Radisson Plaza downtown, and the Clairon hotel downtown.

Downtown Dallas has the West End district, but it isn't walkable from the Hyatt. Also, a search of prior posts will show that the Hyatt has had low occupancy rates lately, and as a result, the hotel restaurants are often closed.

If you like equestrian art, the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth will be opening a new exhibit of George Stubbs' paintings in November!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM

The Hyatt Reunion is very close walking distance to the Sixth Floor museum, but the Fort Worth stockyards, as another said, are a little drive away. We stayed at the Hyatt while there and found it worked well for our needs and drove over to Fort Worth for the stockyards (Billy Bob's is there, too). We also found some nice restaurants in the downtown Dallas cultural district. The Hyatt Reunion also has an elevator that takes you to the top, if memory serves, there is a revolving restaurant up at the top.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Don't forget there's a commuter rail between the two downtown areas. [Reduced schedule on Sat, no service on Sun.]

http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/

Might be useful if you don't plan to drive.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:23 PM

I have friends who like to stay at the Ashton in Fort Worth and they are from Dallas. It's their get-away.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM

DO NOT WALK FROM THE HYATT TO THE WEST END AT NIGHT!!!! It's not that the neighborhood is necessarily bad, but downtown is pretty dead after dark, and there are some areas where you will be the only person on the street. Anyone who has been to a big city can tell you this is not a safe thing to do. I have lived in Dallas for most of my life, and I do not walk around downtown after dark.

The commuter rail does go between Dallas and Fort Worth, but the Stockyards are quite a way north of downtown Fort Worth, so you'd be looking at a cab ride.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Second the recommendation to stay in Fort Worth. Lots more charm.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Agree with ChristieP,
Stay in FT Worth - Dallas has little value, and I have lived here for 24+ years.
Have lunch on Sat @ Bistro Louise - prob the best restaurant in the entire Metroplex!!
M
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 03:17 AM

Downtown Dallas is a much better place to stay. Dtn FW is small, has a very limited number of options and is dead during the daytime. And once you get out of its 5 or 6 blocks of entertainment zone, you're surrounded by nothing... vacant and shabby buildings, weed-filled lots.

Downtown Dallas has what dtn FW does not:
. Two major sports arenas, one of them the most lavish in the USA
. 3 major art museums
. Parks and public plazas
. Much more shopping (Neiman-Marcus, Dallas Underground, West End Marketplace)
. Crowd pleasers like the Kennedy Museum and the Dallas World Aquarium and Zoo)
. Two restaurant and club districts (West End, Main Street)
. Observation tower at Reunion Arena
. Light Rail and antique trolley connections to many adjacent areas, zoo, shopping, entertainment disticts, etc.
. More entertainment districts adjacent to downtown, such as Deep Ellum, McKinney Avenue.
. Dallas Farmers' Market
. Far more buildings, people, life.

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 03:36 AM

If you want restaurants, you'd better stick to Dallas. The Mobil Travel Guide lists 180 restaurants in Dallas and surrounding areas that rated at least one star, but only 15 restaurants in Fort Worth earned at least one star.

Bistro Louise earned two stars. Michael's Restaurant and Angeluna were the only 3 star restaurants in FW, but Dallas has 20 restaurants earning 3 stars or better.