Search

Hotel help needed!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel help needed!

Hi,

My brother and I are travelling from the UK to New York on Dec 14th for 4 nights, however finding a decent hotel at a resonable rate is proving to be impossible.

I was hoping to get a 4* but leaving the booking so late I am not prepared to pay the ridiculous prices, I hold a Hilton Diamond VIP card and I can't even use my points!

Can anyone give me some advice on some of the lesser expensive though nice hotels.

Thank you
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:27 AM

NYC in Decemeber is going to be pricey. You can try priceline (checj beddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com for more info). You can also check Affinia.com. They have some very nice hotels, and sometimes have special offers. Many of their hotels are suites and have kitchens, which may come in handy.

What is your budget?
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM

oops, my bad typing is catching up with me...it should be biddingfortravel.com, not beddingfortravel....
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM

it's biddingfortravel.com and is always helpful. i have had fantastic luck bidding on priceline by using this site. good luck.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM

But assuming you're female, Priceline will only guarantee 1 room with 1 bed for 2 people.

The best thing I see in a room with 2 beds is the Lucerne on quikbook.com for an average $302 plus tax/night. ($1210 for 4 nights) BOOK IT NOW! It's cancellable and no prepayment is required. Then keep looking. Watch travelzoo.com for any specials. Forget about using Hilton points, but maybe they'll give you a nice room for less than the Lucerne price.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:25 AM

The Lucerne is a steal at that price - most nights are going for $500 or more. Definitely grab this - it's a solid 3* in a great neighborhood - and then you can continue to look around if you want.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Make a reservation at the Milburn while you continue to shop around. Lock something in before it's too late. If you cancel 72 hours in advance there will be no charges.

It's on the Upper West Side in a decent neighborhood a short walk to the subway.

MilburnHotel.com
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies, quikbook was a great suggestion, however we are now faced with more choices (I thought this would be so easy!!) which area do we stay in??? our trip is primarily for christmas shopping. I do love to spa so maybe a hotel with that facility or a spa close by, what do we definatly need to see and how much can we do in 4 days?

I quite like hotels with plenty of light and we would both really like to have great views of the city from our hotel rooms. Also although my brother and I get on very well we both want our own rooms so single occupancy I am finding is A not a cheap option and B not readily available.

suggestions please!

Again thank you for your help
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:04 PM

At this late date, you should take the advice of the above posters. Forget about great light and views- you are going to be lucky to get clean and two beds unless you are prepared to pay very serious money.

The Lucerne at $300 is a great choice. It is in a nice UWS neighborhood, has lots of good eating nearby, is clean and comfortable, and is 1/2 block for a good subway line. If you find something better, you can cancel it later. You are going at high season in a very busy year for NYC hotels.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:16 AM

This poster is looking at 2 rooms. So www.priceline will probably be the best option?? No post about budget?? Also add in all the taxes. I am paying $100 more per night for my trip in December compared to 7-06- no way around it.

But going in December with all the decorations is worth it for me.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:42 AM

It's clear you don't have the sense of urgency you need, Charlene. Perhaps you haven't heard that all of the UK and Europe have discovered what a bargain the US is with our weak dollar. They're ALL coming to NYC!

BudgetQueen is right about Priceline if you're not going to share a room. (I would still reserve a back up option should you not succeed at bidding). Bid only 4* hotels in any of the areas with the word "midtown" in it. You can bid for 2 rooms. Go to the sites mentioned above for help if you've never done it before.

Fyi, there is NO such thing as single occupancy rooms, certainly not in a 4* hotel. If you were unlucky enough to find one, it would be the size of a broom closet (cupboard) in one of the older hotels (and you wouldn't pay much less for the privilege). You'll both be in a double room with single occupancy if you don't want to share.

If you don't want to try bid or are not successful, for a hotel that's close to all the mainstream shopping (midtown), with views, you can have a look at
the Sofitel
Parker Meridien
Bryant Park

Trump International, the Ritz Carlton Central Park, the Mandarin Oriental and the Four Seasons are really what you're describing you want, but they're all 5* hotels.

But several of the Hilton family hotels would also fit the bill. (They're often the winning bid in midtown west on Priceline). The Hilton NY is well located for shopping and theater, higher floors have views. It's a large convention type hotel but well regarded. Online, the rate for your dates is $419/night. The Hilton Times Square is also available, but I don't think that location, in the center of Times Square, is what you want. The Doubletree Guest Suites is also in Times Square, but you might quite like the suite arrangement (separate bedroom and sitting room) and maybe, if one of you is willing to sleep on a sofabed, you could share a suite there for $521/night.

If you were able to move your trip to Dec. 17, prices at many hotels drop dramatically.

Meantime, in your original post you asked for some lesser expensive but nice hotels and the Lucerne fits the bill. It's not in midtown, but a nice residential area within a short cab ride to midtown. There are plenty of shops near it too and it's not far from Lincoln Center.

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Agree that in the US there is no such thing as a single room - except perhaps in inns or B&Bs. All hotel rooms fit two people and are charged as such. If you put only one person in the room - that's you're business - the price doesn't change.

I would doubt Priceline will help since you will have to find a hotel with 2 rooms - and most hotels are so fully booked they aren't giving Priceline any inventory to see.

Based on what you're asking for you need to either

Up your budget by a couple of multiples (that is think from $500 per night up per room)

Come in January instead - when rates will be lower and you have a chance of using Priceline to get a pleasant hotel at your $150 rate (the rack rate would still be $300 or so).
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

I tried priceline, my first offer was declined, though it was quite a cheeky offer for a 4*!

I upped my price just a little and it got accepted!! hooray!!! I got the rooms for almost £300 cheaper than anywhere else. So we are now staying in the Grand Hyatt, I have read mixed reviews on this hotel and am wondering if we are going to get the broom cupboard for the price we are paying.

Any hints and tips as to how we can get decent rooms?

Thank you for all your help..

A very happy Charlene
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM
GoTravel

All the rooms at the Hyatt will be 'decent'. You will be the lowest on the totem pole and the Ritz-Carlton it isn't but a Hyatt is still a Hyatt.

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Generally the people that check in late at night get the worst rooms - the hotel won't use them unless it is full and has to. Best check in times for good rooms - from noon to 4 pm or so (lots empty so if yours has a problem you can try for another).

Also - smart remarks about broom closets won't go over very well - try to be charming, not demanding.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

As someone who is used to staying in 4&5* hotels, I have no intention of being demanding, rudeness gets you absolutely nowhere, everybody deserves respect. My job takes me all over the world and I am very very lucky to have an employer who pays for my accomodation. This is the first time I am paying!!

I really want my brother to have the greatest experience as he has never been to New York before and this is his christmas present.

I really appreciate all of your imput in helping me get what I need.

I am in no doubts that we will have a great time.

Thank you..

Charlene

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Congrats! Charlene, register right away for Hyatt's passport program.
https://goldpassport.hyatt.com/gp/en/benefits/join.jsp

As to the mixed reviews, I think they mostly have to do with price/value relationship. Assuming you got a bargain, you will be fine.

Wouldn't hurt to email or phone and request a high floor with views.

Just a heads up, the hotel sits next to and over Grand Central Terminal where there will be a Christmas Market in full swing during your stay. The streets will be crowded.

Next task, theater?
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Next task....theatre would be nice although my brother isn't really into that sort of thing.

Primarily we are christmas shopping and as we both love Christmas..(mum and dad always made it a really magical time for us) we are headed to NY to capture some of the magic!

I am so excited I have always wanted to see New York just before crimbo and finally my other commitments aren't clashing and so my wish is granted!

My brother loves his Levis and here in the UK they are so expensive everytime I went to San Francisco, I would get him a pair...no idea why he wants more I visted SF every other month for 3 years!! still he wants a few more to add to his collection and some trainers etc etc, me I am a self confessed shoe and bag addict.

I am wondering if ground zero is a good idea to visit or if it's a little disrespectful, I would however like to light a candle in the catherdral opposite.

Any more tips for me and I'll gladly accept them, you have all been so very helpful.

THANK YOU!!

Charlene

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM

There's a Levi's store across from Bloomingdales on Lexington & 59 st. They also sell Levi's at Barney's which is great for shoes and bags but pricey(2 locations--the one downtown is "cooler" and has more jeans) . Both Bloomingdales and Macy's offer visitors a discount (11%) if you register at their customer service desk first, before shopping.

For trainers (sneakers) depends on what kind he wants. Modell's (there's one right near your hotel at 51 East 42nd St) has a large selection. If he wants something more esoteric, there are some places downtown like this
http://nymag.com/listings/stores/alife_rivington_club/

The WTC site has become a regular stop on the tourist itinerary. If you go, make sure to stop in at St. Paul's across the st.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:14 PM
droolpatrol

Maybe I should go to Europe to sell all the old nicely faded Levis that I can't fit my bum into anymore, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -