Hotel Hana-Maui has some inconveniences

Jan 1st, 2000, 09:38 PM
John

Hotel Hana-Maui has some inconveniences

If anyone is planning to stay at the Hotel Hana-Maui at Hana Ranch in the town of Hana on Maui island, please survey the opinions of guests or reviewers who have stayed there in the last couple of years or so before you make a reservation. To me, the prime attraction of the hotel are its extensive grounds, wonderful oceanside location, congenial staff, small town setting and the relaxation you can gain from having no phone or TV in your room.

There were more than a few slip-ups in service. These were tolerable, but the prices we paid for the room don't make the hotel a good value. These slip-ups can't be attributed to having too may guests since occupancy was rather low when we were there. In a 4-night stay just before Christmas, 1999, here are the main things that happened to us:

*While reserving the room from my home outside the U.S., the hotel called me back after they checked on room availability. They must have been using a cheap long-distance provider since what I thought was a call at their expense (perhaps the hotel was unaware of their carrier's practices) was BILLED to ME as a COLLECT call.

*I called the hotel two hours before I arrived and asked them to pick me up at the airport. Upon arrival, there was NO ONE from the hotel THERE TO PICK ME UP. The tiny airport just has one small passenger airline flying in about twice a day at most.

*The bathtub in my room COULDN'T BE USED because it had a broken drain. Housekeeping knew about this, too.

*The room we had started off fully stocked with the soap, towels, shampoo, and so on that rooms usually have. Day by day, the restocking of these things declined and after the third night of our stay, after waiting all day we realized that housekeeping was NOT going to SHOW UP that day. That is the first time that has ever happened to me in a nice hotel. I called the front desk to ask for a housekeeper and even made it easy for them to clean by letting them know I'd be out to dinner for 90 minutes. There was no result and I had to call again later.

Staff members said that new owners had taken over the hotel about a month before, so I hope that the situation improves soon. These lapses by the hotel really made me wonder if the manager was really on the ball, so I didn't even bother complaining to him or filling out a questionnaire since I felt nothing would come of it.

Also, the hotel itself doesn't have its own homepage or e-mail address, as far as I could tell, if you are interested in knowing more about them.

I'd really like to stay at the hotel again AFTER the service improves and some of the equipment is fixed. Again, my advice is for you to be prepared for some inconveniences if you visit.

Jan 2nd, 2000, 06:22 AM
lisa

What a shame! My husband and I honeymooned at the Hana Maui in 1995, when it was managed by Sheraton, and it was wonderful. Sounds to me like those glitches are more than mere inconveniences, given the high prices. Let's hope things improve because it's a gorgeous location.

Jan 3rd, 2000, 05:22 AM
Neal Sanders

John, my wife and I stayed at the Hotel Hana-Maui annually from 1978 until two years ago. Though we haven't been guests for the past two years, we care very much about the hotel and the community, and are part of an informal network of like-minded people.

The Hana-Maui was purchased in the early 1980s by Rosewood Hotels (their flagship is the Mansion at Turtle Creek) and rebuilt to the property that exists today. At the peak of the hotel boom in Hawaii in 1992, Rosewood sold the Hana-Maui to a Japanese investment group. The hotel lost its Rosewood affiliation and referrals; an affiliaton with Sheraton lasted a few years (and ended about the time Lisa was honymooning there). Since then, the hotel has had no chain affiliation and has suffered declining occupancy. When we were last there in January-February 1998, about 25 of the hotel's 100 rooms were occupied.

The Japanese owners put the hotel up for sale in 1997, but the remote location and lack of golf course made potential buyers few and far between. The Aman resort group had a strong interest, but they were apparently not the purchasers who finally took title to the hotel last March, given that the property is still limping along.

Because the hotel is the mainstay of the town, we all hope changes are coming, but that those changes don't rip apart what makes the area so special. We have good friends who will be there later this month; I'll let you know what they learn.

Aug 15th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Robin

I'm curious whether there has been any change. This is a place I've always wanted to visit.

Any up-to-date input?

Aug 15th, 2001, 01:24 PM
KT

Robin:

We stayed last year for a weekend, loved it, and am returning for a week this fall. The hotel was great!

I had read this post before I went and was wary, but did not have any problems at all. Service was great, staff really went out of their way for us. For example, they contacted a local artist whose work we admired and had the artist meet us at the property the following day.

The most recent owners did a signficant amount of improvements to the grounds and the cottages. Both were in tip-top shape.

Funny the post should pop up on this day because the hotel is changing hands today! The new owners are Passport Resorts, owner of the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur, CA. Here is a June link from the Honolulu Star Bulletin announcing the sale starbulletin.com/2001/06/14/business/story1.html

I can only hope that the Hotel is in as good shape for this year's visit as it was for last!

KT

Aug 15th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Robin

Thank you, I'm so happy to hear this. This is one of those places people get dreamy-eyed when they tell you about going there (including my grandmother forty years ago!). I am very happy to know it isn't sliding, although John's experience still isn't acceptable.

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Robin

For Deb...