Fine Dining in Anchorage

Jun 21st, 2001, 03:49 PM
Joan

Fine Dining in Anchorage

I'll be sending one night in Anchorage before heading out to the wilds of Alaska, and would like to begin my adventure with one fabulous meal. I was thinking about Simon and Seafort's Saloon and Grill or Marx Brothers Cafe. Any recommendations?

Jun 21st, 2001, 06:20 PM
joan

Just back from Alaskan cruise. Our group had to decide between Simon & Seafort's (fancy) and the Glacier Brewhouse (casual). We chose the Glacier Brewhouse because we knew we'd be traveling long hours beforehand and wouldn't want to get "gussied up" for dinner. Turned out to be a great choice. The food was WONDERFUL, the atmosphere more bistro than pub, with lots of seafood on the menu. Glad we had reservations, the line was out the door and we waltzed right in. Eight thumbs up!

Jun 22nd, 2001, 03:07 AM
Rosemary

On our recent visit to Anchorage we only ate at the Glacier Brewhouse. I agree that it was great - it was our sort of place - and you do need reservations - but I wouldn't exactly describe it as 'fine dining'. I think Simon & Seaforts has a fine dining reputation - maybe someone else has been there??

Jun 22nd, 2001, 06:35 AM
sluggo

We had dinner at Simon & Seafort's last June and were disappointed. It was expensive for the quality and the view of Cook's Inlet was unimpressive (tides vary 30 ft and it was low). On the other hand, our lunch at Glacier Brewhouse was fabulous in all respects.

Jun 25th, 2001, 09:18 PM
Taylor

I live in Alaska. For fine dining - great view! nouveau cuisisne slow service and tasty expensive meals try the Crow's Nest. For no view but fabulous food and an endless wine cellar try the Corsair. For casual good food with an inlet view try Marx Brother's (very small and couple-friendly) or Simon's.

Jun 28th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Judy

For a great pizza in a casual setting, try Uncle Tom's pizzaria. We stumbled upon this on the day of our departure from Anchorage for our cruise. A great pizza with homey atmosphere. We found out later this is where the "locals" for for their pizza.

Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:16 PM
Judy

I made a mistake in the name of the pizzaria - it was Uncle Joe's pizza and I believe it was on 6th avenue near the Egan Center. Great pizza and local color.

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:48 AM
alex

Joan

I'd also recommend Orso's, which is next door to Glacier Brewhouse on 5th Avenue and run by the same people. Its a mix of seafood with Mediterranean influences - busy, so you will need to reserve. They start dinner early (for us Brits) at 4.30pm. Halibut in prosciutto was delicious. This was recommended by people we met and glad we took them up on the recommendation.

Aug 20th, 2001, 01:30 PM
JD

Best meal I had in Anchorage was at Ristorante Orso - period. I would recommend it without hesitiation.