Reload this Page >

hotel for outof state wedding guests?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:37 AM
j harrod

My son and fiance are planning an Oct. wedding in Manhattan. We live in MA and half of the guests,about 50 people, will be staying in the city. The wedding is on a Sat. evening. The wedding is at the Puck building. Where should we advise guests to stay?

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Merilee

The Howard Johnson chain opened an express inn lat year at 135 East Houston Street...I think that's (kind of) near the Puck (at Lafayette, correct)?

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:46 AM
me

any hotel in the soho area would be the most convenient. I don't know your budget but they may be pricey. There's the Soho Grand, Mercer and may be a few others I can't think of right now. For better value you can look into hotels in the Financial District (near Wall St., hotels in Battery Park City area are more out of the way and not as close to subways). It's a bit far to walk but a quick taxi or subway ride. Also the W Union Square is a quick cab or subway away. The midtown places are further.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Anthony

You can tell them to stay anywhere in Manhattan where they can get a good deal. There is no point whatsoever that anyone has tostay near where the reception is. That's why there are taxis

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:44 PM
xxx

Yea, Anthony is right. Save $30 or so for the hotel room away from the reception and then spend an extra $20 each way for a taxi for an additional $40.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:01 PM
nyer

If you're planning on reserving a block of rooms at a specific hotel (which would generally be offered at a discounted rate), the Soho hotels & W at Union Square as mentioned would be the best locations I can think of.
These are all upscale hotels, so it's very possible that there will be people who want to make their own arrangements at lower priced hotels that are a bit further away. If you're hosting a wedding at the Puck building I can't imagine that most of your guests would want to stay at a Howard Johnson (but of course it doesn't hurt to have the name of a less expensive option to mention to those who ask...)

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:23 AM
eddie

Why don't you just stay in a box on Houston Street.

I would also strongly consider Queens. Queens is nice.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
suzanne

I have a friend who got married in Manhattan a couple years ago...she found the best hotels for the price (inexpensive) were downtown near Wall Street/Financial District. She found they are much less expensive on weekends because they are typically packed with businesspeople during the week. I believe there was even a discount for a group booking (people just had to say they were with the "so-and-so" party when they called). Everything in this area is just a couple subway stops or a $5 cab ride from the Puck building. Sorry, don't have any specific hotel names to give you...

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:03 PM
nomar

Tell your chowdahead family and friends to stay in the Bronx. That way they can be around some real champions.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Michelle

We have friends who recently stayed at the Regent Wall St. and got a really, REALLY great weekend deal (I'm assuming the wedding is on a weekend). Give them a call and see what they have to offer.