Hotel for Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to find a less expensive but decent hotel for 3 nights during the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this year. Options so far: Holiday Inn Express Alameda, Howard Johnson Albuquerque North, or Country Inn and Suites (Albuquerque North). Read varying reviews on TripAdvisor. Any recommendations?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:57 PM

They're all in good locations close to Balloon Fiesta Park, so the prices will be higher than at other times of the year.

Given that you're making reservations almost at the last minute, I think any of the three will be fine.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Do you suggest any one of these over the other?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Not sure about the Howard Johnson's...where is it? I'd go for Holiday Inn Express as my first choice of the 3 listed. Try Embassy Suites...a little further away but really nice and convenient for all ABQ things.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Howard Johnson's is at exit 231.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Ok, I know where it is...it is near the Country Inn & suites which just took over from another brand.

I'd still go with Holiday Inn -- it is on the same side of the interstate as the balloon fiesta park and that will make it easier to drive there.

I really like Embassy Suites...try there too. Breakfast is great, free drinks in the afternoon and really nice spacious rooms. I stayed in the Country Inn 5 years under other ownership...it was kind of blah and tired...maybe they've remodeled, but they just took over so maybe not yet.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Well, I thought I had the Holiday Inn, but apparently lost that reservation. And the Embassy Suites is not available the nights I need. So.........I guess I am down to the Country Inn or the Howard Johnson's.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

I called both hotels (Country Inn and the Howard Johnson's) and the person who answered at the Howard Johnson's was much friendlier and informative -- plus the TripAdvisor website reviews were quite positive regarding the HJ. The HJ serves a hot complimentary breakfast at 4AM during the balloon fiesta and apparently won property of the year in 2004 and 2005 according to the desk clerk. So that's where we are staying! Will post when I return and let you know how it was!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:58 PM

Glad you were able to find something to your liking and that fit your needs. Enjoy the Balloons and dress in layers!! It is cold in early a.m. but will warm up as sun comes up. Yes, you have to be there before the sun comes up to see the best part.

Also, allocated more than 1 day to go...the balloons do not fly if it is windy and to them it doesn't take much to be considered windy.

And be sure to go to a glow at night...nothing like it.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

As it turns out, we arrive in Albuquerque after a few days Santa Fe on Friday the 6th and we only have 2 days for the balloon fiesta -- Oct 7&8 -- and really hoping the weather is good while we are there. We booked a balloon flight on the 8th. Planning to go to the balloon park 3 times -- Saturday morning ascension and Sunday morning ascension and balloon flight and again Sunday evening for the glow and fireworks. Trying to decide whether to shuttle or drive and park since the hotel is only 2 miles from the park and the shuttle parking is farther away. And we need to figure out things to do in Albuquerque during the daytime. Thinking Sandia Peak Saturday at sunset. Flying home on the 9th. Whew!