Hotel between Chicago & Detroit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm arriving on a late flight (11 pm) into Chicago and need to be in Detroit for a game the following evening. I'm just looking for a decent hotel to stay for the night and get on the road in the morning. Something like a Holiday Inn Express. Should I stay right near O'Hare or is there a town I could stay in around an hour of town in route to Detroit? Any must sees on the drive from Chicago to Detroit? Thanks
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM

i would probably do priceline for ohare and gret a nice four star for less than an express.. or hit the road ( no traffic) and see where you would be an hour outside of the city . get out a map and see what you think you will feel ike doing after such a late flight.

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Is this on a weekend or weekday? The Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94) is under major construction and while this is the most direct route, it will be slow except for very early on the weekends.

You can take I-294 south to I-80 as an alternate, or, as you say, try to get an hour's driving in, which will take you out of Chicago, and past scary Gary to the Portage/Chesterton, Indiana area. There are several options available there. If you go a little farther north into Michigan, you will be near the Ogden Dunes State Park, which is a blast - huge sand dunes and a good beach. Remember, you lose an hour between Illinois and Michigan.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. I went ahead and just booked through Priceline for a room near O'Hare. $47 total for a Hyatt is a good deal, so I'm happy. We can get a early start out the next morning.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM

As the others have mentioned, getting out of the city heading that direction is never fun! But as long as you're prepared for that, and since you don't have to be in Detroit until evening, you'll be fine.

It sounds like you got a good deal on the hotel. And I think you're wise to get a good night's rest after a late flight and before that drive.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM

tempting rate! congratulations.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Early start going to Detroit....that means hitting the road in the 5am time frame if you are going on a weekday. That also means listening to the car radio...AM 780 has the best traffic on the "8's". If there is a hint of an accident or slowdown on the Ryan, even at that time, opt for the Tri-State (294). If they tell you the Ryan and Skyway are moving well, go for that route.

You may have all day to get to Detroit but sitting in construction traffic for 90 minutes plus can still be painful!

Personally I would have gone for the drive an hour idea at 11PM, gotten a room around Portage, IN and not been worried about an early start the next morning.