Host Gifts for the Host who has everything

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in MI. My husband had surgery yesterday (Mon) in Indy and I am staying with a friend while he is in the hospital. We do not expect that he will be released from the hospital until late Wed and we will both be staying at "the friend's" house until probably Friday.

Question; My friend has EVERYTHING and she is QUITE the entertainer. She has a big beautiful house and is quite particular about design so everythig is just-so.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a hostess gift for such a person? She loves wine, but her palate is very schooled, she also loves to cook. If anyone out there has any ideas for a very high-end mail order type place I would be interested. I have already sent the Nonnies Pound Cake (very nice) and would be interested in something similar.

Thanx in advance for your ideas....
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
GoTravel

In this situation I do one of two things:

Find a photograph of loved ones and blow it up and have it framed.

OR

A gift from the Metropolitan Museum of Art giftshop.

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:32 AM

Since she loves to cook, how about Williams Sonoma?
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:34 AM

How about a gift from Williams-Sonoma or harryanddavid.com?
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM

Stonewall Kitchen has some really nice and unique sauces, salsas, marinades, etc and it is slightly less cliche than Williams Sonoma. You could order a gift certificate or gift basket.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM

Ahh, Judy. I see our messages crossed paths. Great minds, etc....

cfntmpn, I hope your husband is doing well.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM

I have found beautiful flowers from hallmark.com--the flowers come in a very classy long printed box, come with a vase, and the long stems last WEEKS. I can order them one day and they are delivered the next day (Fed Ex or someone like that). Do not choose the bouquets that are already arranged for same day delivery--they just come through a local florist, like FTD or one of those.
Great contemporary gifts can be found at MOMA's gift shop or website also. I buy most of my wedding gifts from them.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:47 AM

My Mom has several friends like yours.If she can't find a copy of "Rao's: Recipes from the Neighborhood", then she goes to www.raos.com and orders a gift to be sent.Works like a charm!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
hdm

I've received and have sent beautiful fruit 'floral arrangements' from a company called Edible Arrangements (www.ediblearrangements.com). I usually send the one called the Berry Chocolate Bouquet -- the fruit is fresh and juicy and the chocolate strawberries are huge. I've sent these to my sisters for special dinners so I get to see and enjoy them.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:10 AM

My angle is very different. If I were the host I would not want or expect a gift. If my guest was respectful of my space and time it would be worth more than a gift. Sort of like the guest who you know is there but you hardly know is there. If the quest Asked me if they could do an errand for me, pick up groceries to cook a meal, or show me how to use a computer program which I can not figure out, that would be their gift to me.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:11 AM

Instead of the usual flowers, I usually send Hawaiian flowers. Everyone always loves them because they are so unique and last quite a while. Don't order from FTD, you only get one or two pitiful stems for mucho $$$$. I always order from mauifloral.com. A small grouping costs only $65 and includes the fedex shipping. The King Proteas make a great impression! The flowers don't come with a vase, but you can order some arrangements that come in a really nice basket so no arranging necessary.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow, you have all contributed some great ideas! I have already started some research and have a pretty good idea what I will do.

I agree with "jorr", and would love to offer something personal - I even thought of cooking dinner for the family before I leave. However, I spend most of the day/night with the hubby - he's lost use in his left arm due to the surgery (it will be back we have been assured) so I help him eat, walk, etc...
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:26 AM

There's always a mother-of-pearl set of caviar spoons.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM

I have a friend (1 ) who is also well off and she always welcomes me into her home (for vacations). I do as jorr suggests. I run errands for her and pick up groceries or dinner for the family one night. The best thing I always do is take her to lunch or dinner at the end of my stay and thank her for her hospitality. I like to splurge at someplace fancy. I also have sent her (after my stay) a case of wine from Swedish Hill Winery in NY. Doesn't matter if she likes the wine because she can give a bottle to who ever she wishes as a gift. That always went over big!
Hope your husband has a speedy recovery!
Annika
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:33 AM

I agree with GoT's suggestion about the photo. A twist on that could be if you got a nice picture frame, then your friend could pick the photo that she likes best.

Another gift that I've given frequently and love to receive is a holiday ornament. If you found a nice china or crystal ornament, your friend would have an annual reminder. I have about 6 Christmas ornaments that I received in the 70s and I still think of the people who gave them to me every time I unpack the decorations.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
You've seen the colors of the house and you are already in the neighborhood. Why don't you stop by a local florist and arrange to have flowers delivered the day after you leave? That way you can give the florist an idea of colors, etc. Every hostess loves fresh flowers.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM

If you were my friend and staying with me under similar circumstances, I would hate to think that you added buying me a gift to your list of burdens. I would much prefer a heart felt thanks - verbal or by card.... and a promised return visit when all is well.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
GoTravel

I like the idea of the flowers from Hawaii.

I have this same ordeal with my mother in law.

Keep in mind, some women of a certain age and certain station in life think flowers in any vase other than the one that has been in their family for 250 years is tacky.

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:50 AM

One caution about the flowers from Hawaii. One birthday, my brother who lived in CA at the time, surprised me with flowers from Hawaii for my birthday. The problem was that they were delivered and left on the front doorstep in the middle of December in New England. Guess what? Frozen flowers, especially since I didn't realize they were there (came in through the garage not the front door) so they sat there for two days.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:00 AM
mm

Send away to Legal Seafood for one of their Lobster Clambake Supreme to go. They do have lot's of other items to chose from.

mm