Horseback riding at Yosemite

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:50 PM
Margie

Horseback riding at Yosemite

Yes, it's me again. Has anyone ever taken one of the horseback/mule tours in Yosemite Park. I would be interested in hearing about your experience.

Also could use some feedback on how to get the best views without a MAJOR hike.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:58 PM
Brian

Yes, we have taken the horse rides a couple times. I went with my daughter who had a wonderful time. Like most things, the more you pay the better it is. The short 2 hour ride is just a loop ride where it is flat & not many views. It's fun though for kids who just want to be on a horse. The half day ride goes up to the point between Vernal & Nevada Falls. This one climbs up the mountain switchbacks & you can get some pretty good views & you can take pictures from your horse. The all day ride goes all the way to the base of the back of Half Dome. This was a good one for us, because the horse did most of the work. Then we climbed up the back of Half Dome using the cables provided there. They give you a couple hours up there. This way you can get to the top of Half Dome for the most spectacular views. This ride is very long & I was sore for days afterward. The only other bad part is you have to wear those goofy helmets. But we had fun & would consider doing it again.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:22 PM
Margie

Brian, I'm curious. What is considered a half day tour? 4 hrs? Don't think there's time for much more in our schedule! I'm booking a full moon tour. We're lucky enough to be staying at the right time for that. Ever been?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Shannon

Margie,
The half-day is the 4 hour trip. They usually give you mules rather than horses. As Brian said, the views are spectacular, especially when you stop at the falls. You will need to bring a snack and drink with you. My personal experience is that because of the width of the mules (very wide), and the mules tend to canter as they near they head back down, my butt was sore for some time after that. I have a small frame, so maybe it's different for a taller person.

If you are into hiking, you might want to just walk up to the base of Vernal Falls. Another thought is taking a drive up to Glacier Point. Outstanding views at the top, including looking down on Vernal/Nevada Falls. Just keep in mind that there is no longer a gas station in the Valley, and you should get a full tank of gas at Fish Camp or at Wawona before you head into the Valley.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 03:47 PM
JJ

Margie
I am also taking teens to Yosemite. Our trip is in September. Will you be so kind to give us a trip report when you return. I'll be curious to hear about any tours especially horseback riding. I'll need to find out if there will be a full moon at the time of our trip (9/4 to 9/7). We'll be staying at Yosemite Lodge. Hope to hear back from you.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 03:58 PM
sara

You need to find out when the full moon in September is? Umm, ever hear of a calendar, or failing that, a websearch? God, how some people make it beyond their own threshold is beyond me!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Margie

JJ, I'll be glad to report our experience here with teens. Oh, and just ignore Sara. She must need an outlet for her frustration. Too bad she has to look for it in here!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Mary

JJ, I think, unfortunately you aren't going to get a full moon tour during the time of your visit. On the Yosemite website, it gives the dates: 8/17-8/22 and 9/17 until, I think, 9/21. Don't feel bad, we're missing it during our August visit (with teens)! Have you checked out www.yosemiteparktours.com? I'll also be looking forward to Margie's trip report.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:28 PM
JJ

Sara,

I did not ask you or anyone else when there would be a full moon. It was the first I've heard of this tour and saud that I (yes, me) would be looking up that information. Get it? Now, to the kind folks here, thank you.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 12:33 AM
views

best views without a major hike:

1. glacier point, you can get there by car.

2. tunnel view, on the way to glacier point from the valley and you also get there by car.

glacier point does have a 3 mile hike, much easier going down to the valley rather than up to the top. don't bother going to bridalveil falls or lower yosemite falls. at the time you are going there should be very little water and no water means no view (other than a few rocks at the bottom). for ppl that like to hike, go to the top of half dome by way of the ladder (but be sure to take sun screen) or else try the trail to the top of upper yosemite falls. they are both long hikes. the half dome hike will give you a view of the valley length wise as well as a view of what is on the other side of half dome. the upper falls trail will let you get a good look at the valley and there are also pools of water up there so you can go swimming after your hike to the top.