Reload this Page >

Hop on/hop off bus help

Search

Hop on/hop off bus help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Chris

Hop on/hop off bus help

My family will be in NYC and I am thinking that the hop on/hop off bus idea will be a great way for my parents to see a lot, but not have to walk everywhere or rely on taxis. We will be staying at the Plaza and I have heard that the "Grey Line" bus has a stop right across the street. Does anyone know anything about this particular line? I have had the "Red bus" recommended to me, but the Grey Line sounds very convenient!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:34 PM
rqf

There are two or three companies operating the hop on hop off bus - they all follow basically the same route. Gray Line is the largest operator and there is a stop near the Plaza. Frankly never heard of the "Red bus" but it is quite likely they have a stop near the Plaza as well.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 07:19 PM
gail

The only inconvenient part is to actually buy your pass, the first trip is to the main office. Then you have to get in line to board the bus you want. This extra time spent caught me a bit off guard.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:37 AM
kitty

I am going to New York in August and also thought about the Gray Line hop on/hop off tour of the lower loop (little italy)etc. Is it worth the time/money? And do you have to purchase tickets at Port Authority and start/end tour there? Thanks

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Frank

Gray line tours and hop/on hop/off can be purchased on the Gray Line website 'graylinenewyork.com'. I would also check with your hotel, you may be able to purchase them there.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:28 PM
gail

I am pretty sure I did purchase mine online and I still had to pick them up.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:08 AM
molly

Does anyone know if the hop on/off is a good way to see a lot in a short amount of time. I looked at Gray Line web site but it does not tell you where the tour starts or ends. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 01:45 PM
rqf

You can get on a bus at any of the designated stops. The people who work for the tour lines have maps showing all the places where the bus stops and all the places of interest along the route. You will find these people on 7th AVenue and Broadway in the Times Square area. There is a downtown loop and an uptown loop. Is it a good way to see a lot in a short time. I imagine if you just make a loop, never getting off, you will pass by most places of interest to visitors. But you will only pass by - don't know what satisfaction you will get driving by the Empire State building. The attraction is the observation deck.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 02:02 PM
molly

Thanks, I plan on taking the downtown loop for the day, so I will get off when I find the attraction of interest. Thanks!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:08 AM
RTraveler

There's no narrator, but how about the local transit bus?

You can get an all day pass for $4 which allows unlimited bus and subway usage. I'll use the subway if in a hurry, but the bus for seeing where I'm at, and going.

Since "normal" fare is $1.50, if you use more than 2 "hops" on the public transportation, you're ahead of the game. The buses are clean, run close to schedule, but can be crowded during morning & evening "rush"

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/bus/index.html

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:53 AM
Owen O'Neill

Many of the buses that "Gray Line" (their corporate name) uses are double decker buses open on top for better visibility. These buses are usually red in color - this may account for the confusion. There was a separate bus service using red buses - it was (If I recall correctly) "Big Apple Tours" and has gone out of business or been forced to close due to safety and maintenance issues. Gray Line is fine and is recommended for this type of sightseeing.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:21 AM
thereuare

Just my opinion for anyone else reading this thread (as it may not apply to the original poster's parents as they are likely older), but for younger people who like to walk...

In cities like NY that have daily unlimited ride passes for public transportation, i prefer to make my own "hop on, hop off" tour. Use message boards such as this one to create your own itinerary (which can be ammended as you go) and use the subway and bus system to see all the sights you want.

This ends up being cheaper, i set my own schedule, i don't have to wait for the next designated bus, and it gets me away from all the other tourists and "in" with the locals. If you strike up a conversation with somebody on the bus or subway (use your own discretion) you can also come up with some great "local" stuff to do or restaurants to eat at, which are never mentioned in any guide book.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:37 PM
muggle

I live in NYC not far from the Plaza, be carfull and only use the Gray Line tour bus. They are an old established company with safe buses. The Big Apple tour company was closed down and some of the other ones have buses that look like they will never make the trip.
Check at the front desk of the hotel,Gray Line is the only one I would use if I was a tourist. They operate these tours all over the world.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 07:26 AM
rosy

Has anyone taken the grayline bus tour?