Search

Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon/Valley of Fire/Zion in May 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoover Dam to Grand Canyon/Valley of Fire/Zion in May 2015

Hello
I am will be in Las Vegas in mid-May this year. I would like to go to the Hoover Dam and visit a national park as well but cannot decide as to which one is worth the drive time. Grand Canyon/Valley of Fire/Zion? I would like to spend one day at the Hoover Dam including the national park. Is this asking too much? Or would it be worth spending two days doing the trip with overnight lodging. To which should I book lodging before-hand or am I able to book it when I get there/on the spot?
Thank you,
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 03:07 AM
J62

Map out the distances (maps.google.com) and you can decide for yourself if it is too much for one day.

Personally, I think 4hr drive each way from Las Vegas to GC is too much to squeeze in a day trip.

Zion, at 2.5 hrs from Vegas, 3+ from Hoover dam, is closer but still a long way for a day trip.

Given a choice, I'd book an overnight at Zion and spend 1.5 or more days there.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 04:26 AM

From Vegas, Hoover Dam is not a whole day trip, a few hours at most.. Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire make for a nice day trip.

Zion without Hoover Dam for a long day trip. Get up early, by 6AM, drive to Zion be there by 9 AM, spend most of the day and drive back. If you can spend the night and the next day in the park it would make for a very worthwhile trip and you could drive through Valley of Fire on the way up or back..

Or Grand Canyon with a drive by Hoover Dam for a VERY long day trip. Get up early, by 6 AM, drive to GC, be there before noon, spend the afternoon, hike a bit, and drive back. If you can spend the night you could do the same, see sunrise the next morning, hike a bit and tour Hoover Dam on the way back to Vegas.

That said, I don't really like driving after dark on unfamiliar roads, so I would opt for an overnight for either trip.

For either trip I would try for lodging in the park, but if you can't look in Springdale, UT for Zion or Tusayan, AZ for Grand Canyon.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 07:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on what time you get into Las Vegas (flying in?) get a rental car and head for the Hacienda which is 2 miles from Hoover Dam. See the dam and then the bridge walkway.
It's your choice whether you want to go to the South Rim GC or head up the west side of Lake Meade and through Valley of Fire on the way to Zion.
I see no need to spend a night in LV ever again.
Another National Park you can visit from LV is Death Valley.
If you go west on Charleston, you can visit Red Rocks.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Both Grand Canyon and Zion are worth the drive and I would plan on one night at the location of your choice. At the Grand Canyon you are on the rim looking down. In Zion you are in the canyon looking up.

Grand Canyon is 275 miles one way and will take a little over 4 hours and you pass right by the Hoover Dam.

Zion is about 160 miles and a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive. You could drive though Valley of Fire either on your way to or from Zion.

Utahtea
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your replies!
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 07:20 PM
ltt

we picked up a rental car at our hotel in the morning and took the freeway to valley of fire. took a picnic and had a nice few hours out there. bring lots of liquids. then we took the more scenic route to hoover dam and spent about 2 hours there including the tour. then we were back in vegas by around suppertime. for an overnight, i'd recommend going to zion. death valley was nice for an overnight trip but it is really expensive to stay there.