Honolulu: Sunday Brunch

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honolulu: Sunday Brunch

Any rants or raves and posible additions to these options?

Halekulani Hotel - Orchids

Oceanarium Restaurant

John Dominis Restaurant

Moana-Surfrider - on the lanai overlooking the beach
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM

You're talking about the brunch buffet, right?

I've never been to the Halekulani's brunch, and the Oceanarium's was too long ago for me to remember much.

I like the Surfrider's better than John Dominis', but just because it has Eggs Benedict (which I love) - and John Dominis' does not have it.

The Surfrider's brunch buffet is close to $40. John Dominis' is a little less expensive at around $32. I like the views at John Dominis better, but it's not open air like the lanai at the Surfrider.

The Ihilani's brunch is pretty good too - also in the $32-$40 range.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

chepar, thanks for the input. Things have have gone up a bit. Got to forget about those cheap Florida prices!

Any decent $20-25 options out there when the budget is busted for the month?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Buy one LESS CD and spend the money at the Moana-Surfrider. Cheap and less than memorable you can get after you return home. SPEND the money..you deserve it and you won't regret it..(you went all that way to save $15-20????)
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid1, thanks for the input. We are returning to Hawaii to live and will not be short-term tourists.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I think I've been to all the Sunday brunches, and the best one by far, in my opinion, is at the Hale Koa. It costs $21.50 and you don't have to be military to partake.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 02:49 PM

The Sunday brunch at Orchids is very good. Lots of excellent local, asian and western fare to choose from, in a very nice setting looking out over Waikiki Beach. Probably in the $30 to $40 plus range though, but well worth it for the quality served.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:24 PM

I really liked the Orchids, but I thought it was too expensive--not to mention juice is ala carte! I would normally think of Orchids, but it's for occasions when someone is TAKING me.....

Oceanarium is a good value. Good if you have kids in your party.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Anybody else want to comment?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM

It's been a while, but I recall the Orchids brunch being not worth the price. But then it's a buffet, and I'm not a big fan of buffets.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I also like the Hale Koa buffet. The food is good (no eggs benedict as a previous posting recommended at another hotel) but they've got plenty of other yummies. The champagne is flowing and the strolling Hawaiian singers add a nice touch. The price is very reasonable, and everyone is welcome even though it's on the military's property.

Aloha!

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:56 PM

I just called the Hale Koa on the issue of needing ID or not.

They said you need militaray ID to purchase anything on the hotel grounds or any of their restaurants.

You can park in the garage or walk around without military ID, but must have it for any tranactions.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 03:46 PM

I have not been asked for I.D. in the Hale Koa Room,snack bar,Barefoot bar,Warriors Lounge,or the Sunday Brunch in several years.You will need I.D. for the PX,the pool,Bibas Restaurant or Koko Cafe.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Where exactly is the Hale Koa? My husband is retired Army so ID is no problem...just need directions from Waikiki, please?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM

bryarsmom, the Hale Koa is a top notch hotel run by the government. Only active duty or retired servicemen/women can stay there (they can, however, book one extra room for a guest at the same time as their own visit). We've been going there for about 20 years, and it remains a lovely place. Had a large addition a few years back so it now accommodates about twice as many as before.

As far as location, if you're familiar at all with Waikiki or can get to a map on yahoo.com or wherever, check out the locations of the Outrigger Reef and also the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The Hale Koa is between them, smack dab in the middle of Fort DeRussy Park. There is a large chunk of land just for the park, and the hotel is beachfront.

The rates are based on your rank and also the type of room you get (from city view to oceanfront). Reservations can be made up to a year in advance. Lots of retirees come the same week each year, making next year's reservation at the time they leave.

My dad (retired Army) loves to chat with the other vets in the lobbies. Brings back lots of memories for these folks.

Happy travels!