Search

Honolulu - First Visit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honolulu - First Visit

Greetings.

We (2 active couples in our 50s) will be there for 3 days in March, staying at the Waikiki Prince Kuhio.

Would appreciate suggestions/highlights to help plan our trip; won't be renting a car.

Thank you very much.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM

Obviously, Pearl Harbor (get there early), also see the USS Missouri while there and if the guys like big machinery, I suggest paying the extra $40 for the below decks "blue hat" tour.

The Polynesian Cultural Center on the east side of the island is interesting, but may be logisticly tough without a car.

Ali Moana mall for shopping.

Diamond Head and Punchbowl Crater.

The North Shore if the big waves are up.

You might rethink not renting a car. It is just much easier to do these things (and less expensive that taxis) if you have your own vehicle. If you don't want to park the car overnight at the hotel, you can easily rent a car for a day.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM

The highlight of our last visit was our tour of ShanriLa, Doris Duke's beautiful home (http://www.shangrilahawaii.org/). It starts at the Art Academy (http://www.honoluluacademy.org/), which is excellent and has a great museum shop and cafe, and lasts for several hours. A time must be reserved for the ShangriLa tour.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM

Hardly anytime to get your feet wet but you need to eat to Leonard's bakery for malasadas get the cream filled. The Aloha Tower and marketplace and Iolani Palace are some sights and don't forget Leonard's.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM

It would be easiest to rent a car so you can get to Leonard's....then you can eat the malasadas as you drive to Aloha Tower Marketplace (www.alohatower.com) and Iolani Palace! Otherwise, to get to Pearl Harbor, PCC, North Shore, Diamond Head, and Punchbowl will require taking a tour.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM

Rent a car. You won't save any $$ by not renting a car. You can see the island much better with a car.

Lots of Oahu info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:11 AM

Aloha,

First of all, what kind of things do you look forward to doing here in Hawaii?

As some of the others have posted here, I would recommend renting a car as well. Taking the bus around can really limit you (although there are many who do it).

Hanauma Bay on the east side of Oahu is a good start. A wonderful place to enjoy the beautiful scenery, swimming and snorkeling.

A sunset dinner cruise is a very nice thing to do here, and many companies to choose from.

One must-do here is a Hawaiian luau. There are a couple I would recommend here on Oahu... Paradise Cove on the west side (leeward side) of Oahu, and the Polynesian Culture Center is a nice place to visit... with a lot to see.

For shopping I would recommend Ala Moana, the Aloha Tower Marketplace and the Ward Centers.

If you are really into "dipping yourself" into a new look while shopping... try a really unique Asian look in clothing at Shanghai Tang at the Ala Moana. Absolutely beautiful clothing there... very, very unique.

Enjoy your visit here, you won't be disappointed. Aloha!

DavidinHawaii
www.HowToDoHawaii.com
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:18 AM

Add Makapu'u Beach and Sea Life Park to those things you may want to drive to/see.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:45 AM

If you are only going to be there 3 days, don't spend an entire day going to the Polynesian Culture Center. You can research it further in this forum. It would not be on my list of top "must do's", particularly with limited time.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM

No arguement about it being easier with a car as we walked to Leonard's than the wife and sister-in-law said we're taking the Bus back. Also took the Bus to the palace and Aloha Tower but we had more than three days.Taking tours and riding the bus is fine when you have more time to play with.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM

Aloha,
I agree with most posts here. If you are only here for 3 days and this is your first trip, splurge and rent a car! You will want to check out the spectacular beaches (not Waikiki). Haunauma Bay for snorkling and sea life (Sea life park is right around the corner). If you keep going that direction you will eventually end up in Kailua (Lanikai Beach) is rated one of the best beaches in the world (a must). If you are shopping save that for the evenings and go to Ward Centers or Ala Moana. A drive out to the North Shore is another must do and if you must do the tourist thing then you can stop at the Cultural Center along the way. Dont worry once you have been to paradise you will be back for more!!
Mahalo and have a wonderful time here in Hawaii.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for the feedback. Looks like we'll be renting a car for a day or two.

So much to see, so little time.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM

BTW Carol, if you decide to come to Aloha Tower Marketplace and it's two couples: email [email protected] at least 2 weeks in advance (more lead time is better) to arrange for a free historical tour. You can catch the elevator to the top of the tower as well for a panoramic view of Honolulu Harbor and downtown Honolulu. The tour is given to groups of 4 or more.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM

I was in Honolulu in Dec with hubby and 2 college-age daughters- and I definitely second the suggestion of going on the tour of ShangriLa- it was fabulous. We went on the 11:00 tour, and had a reservation at the restaurant for 1:30. We eat in a lot of museum cafes, and this was one of the best. Then stay to see the museum after lunch.

Enjoyed dinner one night at Sam Choy's Diamond Head- the one near Waikiki Beach. Have fun!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MelissaHI, and nvl325.

What is the Aloha Tower Marketplace?

We will definitely plan on seeing Shangri-la.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Aloha Tower is 80 years old as of 9/11/06. It is a beacon of history and is featured in the opening sequences of Hawaii 5-0.
http://www.alohatower.com/history.html

The Aloha Tower Marketplace (as you can see at the bottom of that page I just sent you) is a mall built around the tower. There are over 74 stores and award-winning restaurants. In fact, Chai Chaowasaree is our celebrity chef, seen in various media and he's a good friend of Iron Chef Sakai!

There are also a lot of special events at the Marketplace, which will enable you to mingle with the locals. Check out the calendar on www.alohatower.com to see if there are events while you are here.

One other thing, free ukulele lessons on Tuesday, free hula lessons on Thursday.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM

The Aloha Tower means alot to my wife as her father was in the navy on Oahu. She was an infant when they left but Hawaii was an lasting memory for her parents both of whom have passed away. Our first visit to Oahu we almost ran out of time to make there but we made it went up and took in the view. When we came back down the emotions overtook my wife and she had to convince the concerned park ranger that she was fine. So who knows what may trigger special memories for you we made a point of taking my brother and his wife to the tower the last time.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:17 PM

oh, my gosh, hulajake, your post gave me goosebumps!