Honolulu Airport, 4 hours with 2 kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will have a 4 hour layover at the Honolulu airport with our 5- and 2- year olds. Is there anything in the airport that little kids can enjoy? Is there anything we can do in a short period of time near the airport? I know that we can't store luggage in the airport so we might not have many options but I thought I'd ask.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM

there's an aviation museum which might interest the kids, a japanese garden where they can watch the koi in the ponds, feed the birds at the park near the interisland terminal. nothing much outside around the airport without having to go through security again. there's burger king, pizza hut and other restaurants in both terminals
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM

You should be able to check your bags straight through.

If you can do that, you have enough time to take a city bus to Chinatown/Aloha Tower area. Takes about 15 minutes by bus.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM

magkrobber:

I strongly recommend that you do NOT go into town -- your kids will have plenty to do/see at the airport.

Also consider bringing along coloring books, etc. to entertain them...always works with my grandkids!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't direct you to the exact location but I spent time sitting in a nice large outdoor grassy courtyard at the Honolulu airport. Kids were playing there. People eating picnics, etc.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM

I wouldn't leave the airport.

Depending on what time of day your layover is, you can encounter A LOT of traffic, which the bus also must sit in. Security lines at the airport are also sometimes pretty long.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions. We will probably stay in the airport - easier and less chance of something wacky causing us to miss our flight. My kids will love the fish pond.

A nice grandparent suggested we have coloring books with us. Sweet. We will have toys out the wazoo with us, but my kids like to be ACTIVE and will need stuff to do besides sit - because that's what we'll be doing on the 3 flights we'll be on that day.

Getting excited about our trip in 8 days.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You'll be able to find places to run around at the airport. Honolulu has a lot of open-air spaces and long hallways. Very different than most airports I go thru.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:20 AM

We've gone in to town on 4-hr layovers before. However, DON'T take the bus. It does sit in traffic. With the new travel restrictions, instead of going in to town, I would go to Pearl Harbor if you've never seen it. It's about a $10 or $11 taxi ride away--just a few miles from the airport. If you're lucky and there aren't lines, you can see the 20 minute movie and go out to the Battleship Arizona.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:16 AM

Which is better: Four hours with two kids or two hours with four kids?

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM

Having just returned from a trip to Florida with a 6 yr old grandchild, I'd vote not to leave the airport either. I'm not sure where you're coming from, but you'll have just gotten off one airplane. We all know how hectic it is deplaning and gathering all your bags and carryon's. 4 hours will go fairly quickly, I think. It'll allow you to have a nice, leisurely lunch either in a restaurant or "to go" and eaten down in the garden area. The kids will be able to run around down there and burn off some energy. There's a glass elevator that kids seem to love! Maybe it's because I'm older but the thought of leaving the airport and getting 2 little ones on and off buses or taxis seems so daunting. Factoring in deplaning and boarding, you won't actually have 4 hours either. I'd also worry about running into a traffic snag or something and missing the connecting flight.
Kalena