Search

Honolulu/advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Texan

Honolulu/advice

We're headed to Honolulu/Waikiki FOR A WEEK IN MAY ? any ADVICE --MUST DO'S, DON'T BOTHER TO DO, BeST TO SEE,EAT,? wHAT'S THE TYPICAL DRESS CODES FOR DINNER --i.e Laua, restaurants etc? Any ideas on best car rental? We've traveled many times to the caribbean longest flights typically are 3 hours --advice for travel from Dallas to Honolulu (direct flight) about 7 hours? ACK! what to do with all this air time ?
Any help e-mail to : [email protected]

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Deborah

Aloha,

Must do in a day:
Start off in the morning with the Swim with the Dolphins Experience at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental.
Have lunch at The Crouching Lion then
Visit The Polynesian Cultural center (make sure you see the Somaian show)drive to Bonzai alley and watch some amazing surfing and end up at Don Ho's and order the surfboard pizza and have a couple of drinks while watching the sunset.

P.S.
Hoku's restaurant is the best!

Have a great trip.

Old May 1st, 2001, 04:11 AM
Texan

Thanks Deborah!
You sound like a travel service --are you? Or have you experienced this isand before? How about evening dress? Know anything about this? Best
place to rent a car --should we rent locally after we arrive or in Tx before we laeve --if we want the lowest fares?
I've looked and it seems $200 is the lowest weekly arte for a mid size car?
Thanks for your help!

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:09 AM
Suzie

Texan, it doesn't really sound like Deborah is serious. I've been to Hawaii 5 times and I think she's giving you the ideal camera-around-the-neck, socks-and-sandals tour ideas. Dress in Hawaii is casual. If you like pants then just wear your khakis. If you like shorts wear those. You should plan to see Huanama Bay.

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:09 AM
michelle

I lived in Honolulu for a semester a few years ago and loved it. My advice is to get out of Waikiki as much as possible (high prices, very touristy)and see some of the great scenery available around the island. It is a relatively small island and most points are easy to get to. One "must-do" is a trip to Hanama Bay - a protected area not too far from Honolulu (15 minutes?). The beach is lovely, though very crowded later in the day. Go early and enjoy snorkeling. For pictures and/or more info, just do a web search for "Hanama Bay."

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:21 AM
Gerry K

We lived in Honolulu some years ago,
and by far the favorite site for our
visiting relatives and friends was
Hanauma Bay. A natural fish preserve,
it contains countless species of fish
which you can snorkle out to and feed
(with bread or frozen peas). Back then
the city used to rent snorkles right
on site. I don't know if they still do.

Enjoy,

Gerry K

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:46 AM
Beth

We were in Waikiki/Oahu the beginning of April and spent one day at the Polynesian Cultural Center, drove to Sunset Beach, went snorkeling/whale watching with Dolphin Excursions (great people). We got a good deal with Dollar and on their site was a free upgrade certificate.

Old May 1st, 2001, 12:34 PM
kd

Gerry K: It is now illegal to feed the fish at Hanuama Bay. It is also not a good idea to do this anywhere else. Not good for the fish.

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:52 PM
Lori

I agree with the last posting. We've snorkeled Hanahma Bay 4 years ago, when it was still legal to feed the fish and saw plenty of colorful fish. No one informed us this rule has changed and went two weeks ago and saw maybe 3 fish. It was disappointing for us, but there are other places to snorkel. Best bets to visit free are the Arizona Memorial, Diamond Head, National Memorial Cemetary and Pali Lookout. If you're looking for night-life, Dukes on the beach and Mooses on Lewers Street is a blast! Pack light, only shorts and shirts are necessary. Pack a dress shirt for dinner and night clubs. We did Paradise Cove luau a few years back and enjoyed it. Try parasailing for a real treat. Buy the Entertainment Book, Hawaiian edition for discounts on cars, rooms and activities. Bring your own headphones for a free movie in flight Ü, a deck of cards, handheld electronic games or even a travel book. Have fun and mahalo.