Reload this Page >

Honeymooning in Napa/Sonoma?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 03:06 PM
amwc

We are honeymooning in SF in mid September and are staying in the wine country a few days as well. We are wanting to stay at a place like the Villagio or Sonoma Mission Inn without the $350 a night price – more like $200+. Any suggestions?

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:12 PM
Sandy

You might try www.luxurylink.com. They have auctions, and negotiated deals at luxury properties. I've seen some nice wine country places.

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:04 PM
x

I know it's your honeymoon, but you may want to try priceline.com

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:03 AM
Curtis

Stayed at both several times, very nice.. but you may want to consider a visit to Calastoga and some of there Spa resorts, we found them very reasonable with a kinda 50's California feel. We stayed at Indian Springs in Calastoga in one of there small cottages that are spread out all over the beautiful grounds. Also great natural spring pool. When we stayed it was $185, Mud bath and massage extra!
Great town to walk around, plenty of good cafes

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:16 AM
carolyn

Mid September is wonderful in Wine Country. But, it is the start of the harvest and still quite crowded with tourists. Just an overview, Napa Valley is beautiful and probably the best recognized area to visit, but it is also very commercial, there is a real hustle-bustle even though you are not in a big city. By contrast, much of the Sonoma Valley is rural, more remote feeling. You can easily travel from one area to the other in an hour or so. For first timers, most people choose Napa Valley, but after many visits as a local, I always choose Sonoma, for its vast openness and pure charm. I especially like Healdsburg, Occidental and Sonoma in Sonoma County. In Napa County, I like Yountville and Rutherford. There are plenty of B&B's in Sonoma County in your price range. They may be a bit higher in Napa County, but the B&B's are your best bet to get great accomodations at less than $300 per night. Many of the B&B's are owned by vintners or staffed by people with alot of winemaking experience. Enjoy.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:00 AM
A

thanks for all of the advice. Still searching...

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:15 AM
Gilbert

You might want to try the Gaige House Inn which is in Glen Ellen (Sonoma Country). It's quite a luxurious B&B that may be just right. Prices range from $275+. You can see what the rooms look like as well as availability at www.gaige.com

I am also going to be honeymooning in Sonoma at the end of August - and originally wanted to stay at the Gaige House Inn, but decided to stay at a less expensive B&B in order to splurge on dinners!

Hope this is helpful.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:52 AM
Keith

Please try the Vintners Inn ... it is very nice and perfect for a honeymoon

http://www.vintnersinn.com/

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:10 PM
kam

Hotel Healdsburg, Camellia Inn, Madrona Manor, Applewood Inn in Guerneville,The Honor Mansion in Healdsburg,
The Harvest Inn in St. Helena used to advertise a "moderately priced honeymoon accomodation." BTW, I think the Sonoma Mission Inn is vastly overrated, so don't feel you've missed out on anything.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:55 PM
linda

We stayed at Camellia Inn in Healdsburg. It was lovely and within walking distance to restaurants and shops. we had a private entrance to the room- which was very nice.You need to book NOW. It may be too late! Agree with Carolyn about Sonoma. I wouldn't honeymoon in napa- way too crowded. There are nice areas north of Sonoma as well- Oregon has excellent wineries.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 03:19 PM
hannah

The Ballard Inn in the Santa Barbara Wine Country would be a great place for a honeymoon and fits your budget, I think. Or are you locked in to Napa or Sonoma? You could spend the days tasting or touring in Santa Barbara.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:35 PM
amwc

Thank you all for your replies. We are going to stay in SF, then drive to Sonoma/Napa.
Tried the Gaige House, but they are booked.