Honeymooners....Questions

Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymooners....Questions

Hi...I was hoping someone could give me some advice.....going to hawaii for 2 weeks in june....wanting to spend 1 week on maui and the other on kauai....any recomendations for hotels vs condos?....looking to spend aroound 8,000 canadian.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 02:22 AM

In Maui, you might want to try Napili Sunset. They're a smaller group of condos, but they're on a lovely stretch of beach. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon and a great life together.Website for Napili Sunset:www.napilisunset.com
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 03:52 AM

We rented a house, "villa" while in Kauai. The website is www.hideawaycove.com. It was lovely! The price was great, and it was more beautiful than the website shows.

We wanted to be in that area of the island--but in retrospect we would stay in an area with more action.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 06:13 AM

Girl:
You may receive more useful responses if you convert Canadian to US dollars and state whether that is your total budget or room allotment for the 2 weeks.
I agree that the Napili Sunset (Maui) is on a very lovely stretch of beach, but, be aware that you may not find much seclusion. The condominium buildings are so close that they must have been squeezed in with a shoehorn.
Not familiar with the Hideaway Cove property but have been to Poipu. It's typically sunny and dry. It's a gateway to the canyon, the trails beyond with breath-stealing views and the western beaches (too dangerous to swim). I regard it as close to the "action" as you'd find on Kauai-there you typically make your own fun-no difficult challenge on a honeymoon. Many regard northern Kauai as prettier. It's wetter and greener with spectacular natural beauty and more than its share of the best beaches on the island.
Best wishes.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 07:14 AM

For around $6k US (which I think is roughly $8k in your money) there is no reason not to be pampered on your honeymoon by staying at hotels. I'd recommend the Ritz Kapalua in Maui and Hyatt in Kauai--in June, your money should be able to get you club level access at both hotels which means cocktails and food presentations throughout the day with choice rooms.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Congratulations on your wedding! We spent a week at the Hyatt Regency in Kauai and can highly reccomend it. The pool area is large and there is a salt water lagoon for swimming that is fabulous. The beach is not swimmable, but we didn't mind that as Poipu is a short drive or a nice 20 minute walk away. We would hang out in the hotel's beach front cabanas and watch the surfer boys ride the waves. It is expensive, but was worth it. It was a great place to hang out and unwind.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 04:32 PM

We had our honeymoon in Maui & Kauai in late October - early November. We stayed first at the Four Seasons in Maui, and it was wonderful -- very relaxing. We took the Mountain View package, which I think was a good value. In Kauai we stayed at a vacation rental in Wailua managed by Rosewood (rosewoodkauai.com) and then at the Sheraton in Poipu. Wailua was great -- very green, low key, very beautiful. We were five minutes from Opaekaa Falls, Wailua River, and the beach. In Poipu, the beachfront location of the Sheraton was great, but our (garden view) room was pretty shabby. But Kauai is truly a marvelous place. And Maui ain't bad either.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 05:19 PM

We also split our honeymoon between Maui and Kauai. Stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui--we cried when it was time to leave. The service and treatment are second to none. We stayed at the Hyatt in Kauai and also loved it. Not as luxurious in terms of treatment and the room was not quite as nice (but they did upgrade us to a suite), but the grounds were spectacular, including the pools. Also a great choice of restaurants. For the money you're looking to spend, I agree that you should go with the hotels and the special treatment you get. The spas at both hotels were also great--in Maui, we did a couples massage in a private cabana near the ocean==amazing.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who posted their opinions and suggestions....and so quick too
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 06:30 PM
MMN

We spent our honeymoon at the Radisson in Lihue on Kauai for 5 days and The Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea on Maui for 5 days. That ran us $2200 for Oceanview at both properties.
Both were amazing. Radisson was less luxurious but had great pools & great service - we drove North for swimmable beaches. We were on the road so much in Kauai exploring that we were glad we saved a little on our hotel here.
Our Maui hotel was more luxurious & we took some time to enjoy the hotel here. If you go this route, I do recommend saving the more luxurious hotel for last - it worked out well for us.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Great article in yesterday's NY Times travel section on Kauai rentals that sounded like paradise.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:07 AM

A Four Seasons/Princeville combo can't be beat (IMHO). Did exactly this for my honeymoon this past February, and looking back, wouldn't change a thing!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:20 AM

You have a nice budget so choose some nice resorts! I prefer staying in a hotel to a condo--just because it feels more like I'm on "vacation." Gotta agree with Doug's recommendations. We stayed at the Grand Wailea in June (Maui) and were so disappointed we didn't choose the Four Seasons. That would be my first choice for a Maui property.

The Princeville is also beautiful (and Hanalei Bay is GORGEOUS!) but I can also recommend the Hyatt. I really like the south shore of Kauai because it's sunny and hot--my kind of weather. We stayed at the Kauai Hyatt in 2002 and liked it very much. It has a very "fantasy tropical" feel to it. We found the staff to be very pleasant, and our stay was really just plain enjoyable.