Honeymoon...wine +etc road trip

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon...wine +etc road trip

So...I posted a bit ago on this topic, but wanted to see what everyone's general thoughts are on our itinerary. My fiance and I are going to do a CA honeymoon (we were engaged in Sonoma) and the following is what we have planned (I've been to SF about 7 years ago and we have both been to Sonoma Co.)...I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts...especially with regard to 1) incredible but relatively unknown/appt only wineries (in wine areas) and 2) generally fun/memorable places you think we should visit in non-wine areas...

We would love to have your input...

The itinerary...

July 2-3-Buellton, CA.
July 4-San Luis Obispo
July 5-Carmel
July 6-8-San Francisco
July 9-Sonoma
July 10-11-Healdsburg
July 12-13-Calistoga
July 14-San Jose (on the way out)
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM

Hi! I know you will get plenty of input once the Fodorites wake up tomorrow...but I have a couple of questions/ideas. Are you flying? Or, I guess the point is, where are you coming from? I ask this mainly because of the 2 days in Buellton. I don't know much about Buellton, but I can't recall anything much there - besides soup.

Then the other thing I was wondering about was why you are moving from town to town when you get to Napa and Sonoma. You may have a great reason, such as wanting to try several different hotels.

You could easily stay in one - or at the most two - wine country towns and easily see everything in the allotted time.

I think Carmel and Monterey deserve two days. You are probably driving through Big Sur from San Luis. That is a great idea. It is so beautiful. In Carmel try to see Point Lobos State Reserve. You can spend as little as an hour there - or half a day - it is just wonderful. Beaches, tide pools, hikes, a bit of history such as whaling cabin and gear, sea life, bird life.

San Jose...this all hints to me that you are driving home...? Otherwise, San Jose is not necessarily a destination for a honeymoon vacation. Santana Row, the Tech Museum and the Art Museum come to mind, but little else. I would not make the effort, but you may have your reasons.

I hope that helps! I know you will have a wonderful vacation.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM

I assume you are landing in LA? Why stop in Buelton, unless just to overnight. Go inland to Solvang..about 30 min. if I remember correctly.
Once you are in the wine country, I'd pick one place... i.e. Healdsburg. You are centrally located that way. You can drive a loop from Hbg.to Calistoga (aprox. 30 min), St. Helena, Napa, the town of Sonoma, Santa Rosa and back to Hbg. That can be an all day trip, stopping where you see something interesting. From Hbg. you can visit the Armstrong Woods in Guernville, = beautiful red wood State park... drive to the ocean....Bodega bay and back around again to Hbg. ALl the packing, unpacking, checking in and out takes up more time than its worth. Check out www.HealdsburgRentals.com or Healdsburgrealty.com to find some different vacation rental places to stay. There are also lots of hotels and B&B's in the area too. In Healdsburg do visit Preston Winery..its in Dry Creek and little known except by locals and real wine lovers. Its behind Ferrari Carano, which has beautiful gardens.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:08 AM

Is the Buellton stop to dine at the Hitching Post (highly recommend reservations)? If so, also follow other recommendations for staying in Solvang--short drive to HP, but nicer "walking around" town. Nice wineries nearby, too.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:13 AM

I think the OP want to do the Santa Inez wine country. I'd stay in Solvang one night (still time to hit a couple of wineries), and add a night to Carmel stay as cabov said.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:14 AM

Santa Ynez
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - I'm reading between the lines a bit -- are you flying in/out of San Jose?

Anyway - as the others say - ditch Buellton and stay in Solvang or even Santa Barbara.

Also - I agree you are doing way too much moving around in Sonoma county. 1 night/2 nights/2 nights to move a grand total of about 30 miles as the crow flies. Now I know you aren't crows - but that is still a LOT of moving/packing/unpacking/checking in/checking out. Pick one -- Calistoga would be my choice but any would be good.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses thus far. To clarify a bit, I am flying into LA and flying out of San Jose (thus the San Jose evening). The plan is to do Santa Ynez valley for 1 1/2 days (the day in and one full day). While I realize that I could stand to put another day in at Carmel, I really don't want to subtract from another destination.

As for Napa/Sonoma, I suppose its just personal preference, but I generally like to stay close (read, under 10 miles) to the areas I'm tasting in.

Particularly, if anyone has ideas of places they've enjoyed in the Santa Ynez Valley, SLO or Carmel would be great.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM

I live in the Carmel-Pebble Beach area. You mentioned that you wanted a suggestion on where to stay while you're here. Since you're having a wine tasting influenced honeymoon (how fun!), I'd suggest staying at Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley. There are tasting houses near the Lodge that will fit in very well with your theme. Make sure you have dinner at Marinus at Bernardus. Their wine selection is excellent as is their food.

Regarding the nights in Sonoma, etc. Have you thought about staying put in one place and hiring a car to take you around for three days, instead of packing, checking in, and unpacking again and again? That's a lot of wasted time.