Honeymoon trip down Highway 1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 11:34 AM
alg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon trip down Highway 1

Hi, Fodorites!

I haven't posted here in quite some time, but knew exactly where to come for help with my itinerary.

Due to the fact that everything wedding-related costs twice what I was expecting, we are postponing our trip to Tanzania until a few months after the wedding. But, we'd like to do a "mini moon" in the week following.

Here's the deal: we live in SF so I'm fairly familiar with the area; we're getting married in Napa and will spend one additional night there (Sunday); would like to spend the next 6-7 nights driving South; one night at the Post Ranch and a couple in Santa Barbara are highly likely.

Where else should we stop? How should we split up the trip, keeping in mind that we'll ned to drive back to SF? We're big wine fans, should we spend a couple of days near Paso Robles? Hearst Castle...is it a "must"? Please recommend honeymoon worthy accommodations that won't break the bank.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Hi alg! Sounds like a great time. We were just in Paso Robles on Sat. and came across a place we had not visited before, the Summerwood Inn. www.summerwoodwines.com It would be wonderful for a honeymoon trip. Spending some time in this area is a great idea of you're a wine fan.

Some don't miss places are: Tobin James, EOS (we had a nice picnic there), Meridian, Bianchi, Peachy Canyon, Wild Coyote and Eberle. Cambria would also be a nice place to spend some time. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 11:22 PM

...more...
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM

...more...

not only that, have you seen KACinCA or Syrahgirl or KCinCA or KACarter? Makes your head spin.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 11:07 PM

Alg, when are you planning to go on your trip?
Hearst Castle is beautifuly decorated for Christmas. Also, there are evening tours--more honeymoon/romance worthy?
You could stay in Cambria overnight, for there are many lovely and not bank-breaking accommodations along Moonstone Drive.

here's some info on Hearst Castle:

http://www.hearstcastle.org/tours/evening_tour.asp

I don't know that it's a must-see, but it's certainly a fun and interesting tour. If you decide to go (you have to order tix in advance) try to see "Citizen Cane" beforehand.

Congratulations, and best wishes for a great wedding and "mini-moon."
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 09:12 AM

We spent our 10th anniversary going from LA up to Paso Robles, through Santa Barbara last January. Not sure what time of year your wedding is, but we really enjoyed Hearst castle more than we expected. We also spent a night in Cambria along Moonstone Drive and loved that area. Next time I would use that area to stay and head to wineries during the day. The drive from the coast to the wineries is really beautiful.
In January the elephant seals are birthing and it was fascinating to watch them along the beach. I believe it's about 5-10 miles north of Hearst Castle, but can't remember exactly.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:32 AM

In Paso, check out Villa Tuscana and Just Inn (at Justin winery). Both are fabulous!! This weekend we are trying Canyon Villa, only 4 rooms and less expensive than the others.You didn't mention the timeframe but these book up on weekends pretty fast. Also try Castoro Cellars and Opolo...yummy!...Have a great time. I agree with Cambria & Moonstone beach then drive 46 to Paso & enjoy!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:11 PM

On your drive down, you could stop in at the Post Ranch Inn for a drink overlooking the cliffs of Big Sur. The rooms there go for more than $1000 USD per night but they let you in to have a drink without being a resident. Its a great view and a nice break in the drive.

http://www.postranchinn.com
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:28 PM

Rates at the Post Ranch start at $525. It would be a very secluded and romantic spot for you both. Congrats.