Honeymoon- Maui or Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancé and I (both 24 years old) are in the preliminary stages of planning our honeymoon to Hawaii next August. Should we spend our first 7 nights in Maui or Kauai? (The last 4 will be in Oahu)-

We would be staying at the Marriott's Maui Ocean Club in Lahaina if we go to Maui. If we go to Kauai we would have to choose between Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club or Marriott's Kauai Beach Club (on Kalapaki Beach). Has anyone stayed at any of them and have a recommendation?

We want a romantic and relaxing vacation but also want to be able to have some fun with day and night activities. We’re also wondering if the weather is better on either island in early August.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM

kauai always wins hands down. but my bumper sticker says "if you love kauai, send your friends to maui" so maybe i should say go to maui, eh?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lahaina is a wonderful town and offers loads of possibilities for activities, shows, dinner, theater, art galleries, restaurants, bars, etc.

While I know Kauai is incredibly beautiful, I think Maui and specifically Lahaina wins for the "fun day and night activities" part.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Kauai is the more romantic of the two. Very relaxing, not a lot of nightlife but definately more laid back.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:57 PM

maui
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM

We've visited both and whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed. Both are beautiful, romantic and relaxing. Visit one for your honeymoon and the other on an anniversary. Have a lovely trip!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:15 AM

We went to both Maui and Kaua'i for our honeymoon last summer. I wouldn't know which to pick, we loved both. So whatever you choose will be awesome.

I wanted to tell you that we did stay at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club on the south shore of Kaua'i. I'd recommend this hotel, the pool area is really nice (right overlooking the water). It also seemed like we didn't have to fight for chairs. I will say that it had a lot of families though, but it's not that huge of a place so it doesn't feel THAT crowded. It just seemed like we were the only honeymooners there. Different from the Fairmont Kea Lani resort we stayed at on Maui, and the condo we rented on the north shore of Kaua'i.

Have fun
~amelie
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:17 PM

I have visited all 3 Marriotts and have stayed at the Maui (which is really not in Lahina, but a close drive to it) and the Marriott Kauai Beach Resort (twice). Although I love the Marriotts (I own 2 of their timeshares) - I think you ought to know that b/c they ARE Marriotts, you often have lots of children on these properties due to the fact that they are familty oriented versus "couple" oriented. The Maui Marriott probably has the best locations for activities (especially at night)- and there is alot to do on Maui (Haleakala at sunrise, road to Hana, drive the North shore, Lahina...)The pool there is large and has a waterfall, a slide, and a "cave" - kid's delight! There is a "beachwalk" which leads to several other hotels and restaurants along the shore - it's handy and can be a romantic nightime walk or an early morning jog. There's an easy walk up to the Sheraton at Black Rock for great snorkeling.
My husband and I just returned from the Kauai Marriott (we've been married 29 years) - it has the largest pool on the island and a quiet beach area (The Maui Marriott doesn't have too much of a beach area in front of it), but again, is a "family" kind of place. It is next to a few restaurants but is not as "centralized" as the Maui Marriott. While we were in Kauai, we visited the Waiohai and I, personally, found it to appear very "crowded" - the oceanfront units had lots of people sitting right in front of their units (no privacy) and many of their units were very far back from the beach. The pools seemed small and crowded and full of kids and they were built out of some material that appeared to look like a poor copy of lava - not as nice as the other pools at the other 2 marriots mentioned.
Why have you chosen the Marriotts? Is it b/c you're using timeshare or points? If I were going for my honeymoon, I think I would choose Maui first, Kauai 2nd, and Waiohai last.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Maui is great for honeymoons!