honeymoon in nyc

Feb 13th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

honeymoon in nyc

please give tips on places to stay, things to do, and shows to see. We will be honeymooning in March 04.
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:29 AM

You can do a search on this board for NYC and come up with countless ideas. Also, letting people know what your interests are would help greatly.
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:32 AM

s missjanna said, start by reading past posts on this board.

Then come back with more-specific questions and give us some ideas about your interests. It would also help to know your ages and exact travel dates.
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:33 AM

just curious why are you picking NYC for a honeymoon? I live here so it is hard for me to see how someone living in the US would choose this place as a destination for a honeymoon.
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Wait, you're honeymooning here next month and you're planning this now?? Depending on your dates, I would start checking on hotel availability THIS SECOND. If your dates include St. Patricks Day, a lot of hotels will be booked due to the parade. Just a heads up.
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Sarah, I think NYC is a great place for a honeymoon (and so did my parents). So much to do, theater, world-class museums, great restaurants, shopping, etc. Especially for people who live in areas that lack access to big-city amenities this can be an exciting and rewarding destination. Not everybody wants to lie around on the beach.
Feb 13th, 2004, 08:43 AM

I have always liked the idea of NYC as a honeymoon just because I consider Manhattan to be so romantic. To me it is comparable to Rome & Paris. (yes, really) It's so different from where I live although I love where I live also. Just be sure to walk a lot. Avoid the temptation to take cabs everywhere and be sure to spend a decent amount of time in Central Park. Have a great time & congrats!
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM
GoTravel

NYC is a great place to honeymoon! My best friend spent four days in Manhatten before jetting off to Italy for her honeymoon.

matigav, get a suite at one of the romantic hotels overlooking Central Park. Essex House, Ritz-Carlton, Plaza, Plaza-Athenee, Pierre, Stanhope, or The Mark.

Feb 13th, 2004, 09:08 AM

anonymous who is talking about lying around the on the beach?
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:14 AM

I guess I also want to understand the draw of Central Park. If you are not living in city surely there are parks around you? Its just a park, I work out there and I love it but mostly because it deceives me into thinking that I am not in NYC. Friends that live here tell me the same thing. A friend of mine that has a lovely home in country also tells me she wants to hang out in Central Park, I can never understand why. Now the John Muri woods right near or in SF sound different to me not something I could find a couple miles from my house if I lived in most suburbs. Never been still the redwoods national forrest is bigger draw. Not trying to rag anyone?s choice here just curious. I live here, I don't hate New York.
Feb 13th, 2004, 09:28 AM
GoTravel

Sarah YOU don't understand the draw because YOU live in NYC.

Feb 13th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Sarah, I think some of the appeal of Central Park is because parts of it are so recognizable from tv & films. Also, it is so huge inside this very busy, bustling city. It's a haven from all the other tourists like me, it's beautiful no matter what season, very picturesque, and I love the small surprises along the way (chocolate crepes! Yum.) or the little dugout "restaurant" near the baseball field that is so familiar. There are parks within the park, the zoo, ice skating, just beautiful views. Here you are within a stone's throw of all of the hustle & bustle but when you're in Central Park it seems like you are much further away. I know I sound corny -- I would live in NYC part-time if I were wealthy. I love Austin where I live & we have great parks and scenery here but I am in love with NYC as well. I think it is sort of like the people who live in Hawaii or Aspen or some equally beautiful place. They probably don't fully realize how lucky they are. They are just used to what they have that we pay big $$ to visit & don't see it as being quite as special as the rest of us. Just my theory.
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Speaking as a landscape designer, the layout, varied uses, and very survival of Central Park are a triumph of Western civilzation.