Honeymoon in Northern California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and i will have a maximum of two weeks to spend on our late July/early August honeymoon. We are thinking of flying to Cali, renting a car and touring California starting in the north. Does anyone have any advice/ideas on where to go, what to see, where to stay, etc?? Thanks so much!!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Larnarn,
I think your question is too open ended. It is going to be difficult for anyone to give you advice without knowing your interests, budget, what type of food you like etc, etc.

Provide some specifics and I am sure you will get some good responses. Congratulations on your marriage.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

My fiance and i are in our mid twenties. We are looking for an itinerary that allows us to be pampered while travel to different spots. I would rather not spend a long period of time in a car each day (3+ hours) so i am not worried about the amount of land that we cover. I would like to stay in 4-5 star lodgings, eat great food (neither of us are picky) and see amazing scenery. We like to party but also are content with reading a book on a beach. We are open to all ideas.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:00 AM

If you are planning to go to Lake Tahoe, try staying in The Honeymoon Cottage at The Shore House at the North end of the beautiful lake. This B&B is in a wonderful location, with it's own beach and pier and great breakfasts to set you up for the day.
If you are on the coast, don't miss the small but trendy town of Mendocino. There are views to die for from The Agate Cove Inn but all the inns are fine and the location great.
I'm sure some locals will have their own favorites but those were two of ours.Have a great trip!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Isn't it a bit of a drive to northern California from Colombia...?

Ohhh, "Cali" is short for California, not the city in Colombia! Silly me.

Just funnin'!

I'd still consider your request a bit open-ended. But certainly doable. I'm in the southern end of the state, but a two-week honeymoon starting in San Francisco, with a spin up into the wine country (it will probably be very hot, but still nice), and/or down into the central coast, will be a wonderful way to start your married life.

Still, a few more particulars will spark better suggestions. For example, if you do a few days in SF, do you want big-city accommodations, a funky boutique property or a more B&B-type establishment? Spa facilities? Trendy eateries or mom-'n'-pop North Beach bistros? You know-- typical questions.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:07 AM

One last question - have you been to California before? Because the trip would be pretty different if you've already seen the major sights, SF, Wine Country, LA, etc. You can have an incredible trip whichever way you go - style and luxury in the wine country at any one of a number of places (Hotel Healdsburg, Meadowood, Milliken Creek), luxury hotel in SF like the Ritz, romantic B&B in Pacific Grove or inn in Carmel like the Tickle Pink. Or eco-luxury in Big Sur at the Post Ranch Inn, or great wineries down towards Santa Barbara, or beaching it around Laguna Beach, Santa Monica at Shutters on the Beach...

Or else counter-culture and roller coasters and popcorn in Santa Cruz and outoftheway small local hotels in Half Moon Bay.

That's why we are having trouble answering, California is huge and wonderful.