Notices

Honeymoon in CA at beginning of June

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in CA at beginning of June

I just got engaged a few weeks ago, and we're planning a wedding for June - rather quick. So now I'm frantically trying to make plans for a honeymoon. My fiance's only request is for it to be warm. I'm not interested in a resort - I will only rent a place that offers us a lot of privacy - no problem renting a villa/small house through VRBO or similar. I'm looking at staying around $200/night. How will weather be, and what would any of you suggest? I need quick help! Close to the coast would be great. We live on the east coast, so we wanted to try somewhere that we wouldn't normally go on vacation.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Aside from warm, do you want beach, mountains, city access, and the big question Northern or Southern california? When I moved here everyone warned me of the California "June Gloom" where its just kind of overcast a lot. I didn't experience it my first year, but did a little my second.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

I found a place that I'm interested in renting, and it's near Jamul. I'm trying to find something more secluded - something with views (mountain or beach, either one). I have never been to California, but was definitely interested in going there for the honeymoon. We want someplace that has the option of day trips if we decide we want to go somewhere.

Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM

I sure wouldn't consider Jamul for a traditional romantic honeymoon.

It really is far from beaches (read traffic) and sights to see in San Diego. WE don't have spectacular mountains either...
When you say privacy are you saying no other people around???? That might be difficult in your price range and considering San Diego is the 7th largest city in the nation....
Here are some places to consider...

Glorietta Bay Inn
Coronado is always nice as it is on the beach..you could ask about honeymoon packages..they had some specials on teh web

Scripps Inn
La Jolla not on the beach but not far

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

I'm interested more in "unique" locations. I've already found a house to rent near Jamul that is very private with its own pool and other amenities. The pictures I've seen have nice views, but I guess I just need more information on the area. And it's supposedly only about 45 minutes out of San Diego. That doesn't seem far to me - far enough, but still close enough to drive in to do some sight-seeing.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM

I agree with the other comment. I don't think Jamul would be my first choice either. I think Coronado Island is a great suggestion-though you may experience some "June Gloom." It can be hit or miss though and compared to the East Coast we won't be cold. The Hotel Del is unique and very very romantic. I'm sure thier suites offer privacy as the Presidents and other dignitaries stay there often...that is early for our summer season so prices may be competitive.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM

You may also want to consider the Desert. Like Palm Springs, Palm Desert or La Quinta. That is where I am originally from. You will find it warm-probably in the high 80's or 90's. (Dry heat w/ A/C, pools, misting systems it is not an uncomfortable temp)It is surrounded with beautiful mountains (they have 6 ft of snow on them right now). You have never seen a prettier sunrise or sunset than when you are in the desert. The colors are amazing. Coming from the East this would definitely be a different scenery for you. June is late season for them-so you could probably get great prices on rooms.
The La Quinta resort is gorgeous. Spencers is neat too.
my friend owns McLean Company Rentals in Palm Springs-where you can rent private villas or homes. Majority with pools/spas.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM
trippinkpj

Northeast of San Diego, I like Temecula. There's a couple of wineries and a nice old town there. Also, check out Julian. It's a mountain community not far from Anza Borrego Desert. One more: Idylwild in the San Jacinto mountains. An hour (or less) drive from there to visit Palm Springs. But it would be cooler in June.
FYI, I'm a native Californian who knows most of the state pretty well, and I'd never heard of Jamal until this post.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:51 PM

We loved this place, in wine country - Russian River. Perfect for a honeymoon. If you read the reviews, I believe there are a few from those who did honeymoon there.

www.springhillcabin.com