Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon help -- Where to go in 12 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've never been to Hawaii, so we're not sure where to start. Any suggestions on islands to visit (2 or 3) in February/March?

We are into sunbathing on beautiful beaches, nature walks, ocean kyaking, parasailing, snorkeling and of course a bit of nightlife and shopping.

We have about $4000 to spend on the whole trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 12:41 PM

I would stick to only 2 islands, 3 in 12 days is truly pushing it, especially with your budget. (interisland airfare is approx 150/pp/rt). Then you always have an excuse to come back to Hawaii! As far as where to visit, check out www.gohawaii.com. It will give you a fairly accurate rundown of each island and it's unique qualities.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM

The Hanalea area of Kauai is the most beautiful, romantic place in the islands IMHO. With 12 days you could do that and Maui too. Wherever you go, just being together will make it perfect.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:32 PM

I just got married in Maui and spent a week there and a week on the big island. I have now been to all of the islands and those to are by far the best! There is so much to do and both are so different from each other but equally beautiful.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Everybody has their own opinion on which of the Hawaiian Islands are the best. Each has its own appeal, and the same thing that makes one person love an island can often be the very thing that another person dislikes about the same island. For example some people like the peace and tranquillity of Kauai while others find it TOO QUIET. You should ask specific questions about each island and why people like each island. If you like the same things you wil like that island. If you don't like the same things you will not like that island.

You mention nightlife. There is virtually none on Kauai and the Big Island.

Another key factor in who likes which island and why is the person's age. Younger people (and the young at heart) might prefer Maui or Oahu, which are more active and lively.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:57 PM

I just returned from 5 nights on Kaua'i and 5 on the Big Island. I like them both for different reasons. I was married on Kaua'i years ago, so it holds sentimental value. It's green, lush and beautiful. There are hidden waterfalls, great hikes, etc.. IMO, very romantic.

The volcano is a big draw on the Big Island. The lava "beaches" are way cool. We took a helicopter ride over it and it was amazing.

Basically - I love them both!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:13 AM

Neen, the original poster asked about nightlife and shopping among other things. How is the night life and shopping on Kauai and the Big Island ?
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Based upon the things that you listed as interests, I would say that Maui and Kauai would satisfy your needs for all those things. I'm not as familiar with Oahu and B.I. as it has been many years since I have been there and things have changed a lot. Kauai: beautiful beaches, nature walks, snorkeling...Maui: shopping, a little nightlife, beaches, snorkeling, hiking, excursions...Alohamom's advice about reading/contrasting/comparing the different islands is right on. Don't try to do it all on this trip. You have your whole lives in front of you and you will probably be back, so try not to overplan, especially for your honeymoon. Congrats!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:04 AM

You will enjoy Maui and Oahu for nightlife and shopping. There's a LITTLE nightlife on the B.I.--you can go into Kailua/Kona and hang out at the bars there. There is also some wonderful shopping in the B.I., contrary to what some might think, in Waimea, Hilo, the northernmost tip of Kohala, and Honokaa. We have found souvenirs there that are incredibly Hawaiian and unique.

The poster did say she wants quite a bit of nature and sports in addition to shopping and nightlife. The B.I. is good for these, as is Kauai. However, Kauai is indeed quiet as all heck, especially at night.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:26 AM

We have covered 3 islands in less than 12 days and would recommend 5 days Maui,
4 days Kauai, 3 days Big Island.

Maui has the most beaches and worthwhile activities in my opinion, while Kauai offers less people and up north, a lush, tropical feel. If you would like the chance to see an active volcano be sure to visit the Big Island. To save $ we usually redeem FF miles 5000-10000 for interisland flights. Enjoy your stay in Paradise!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Airfare included? $4000 for 12 days is going to be tough, real tough. Are you coming from the east or west coast? Food and attractions are extremely expensive.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Based on what you say your interests are, and the fact that you're a young couple - I'd recommend Oahu and Maui. Oahu has it all - in fact you could split your days between the Waikiki area and the north shore and probably have more to do than time to do it without the hassle of island hopping. But if you really want to do two islands - Maui would be a good second island to visit.

Oahu has excellent shopping, beaches, restaurants, nightlife, museums, Pearl Harbor, the north shore, etc, etc, etc. Maui has Haleakala, up country, Hana, beaches, some good restaurants.

IMO Kauai and the BI would be too quiet and not offer enough in the way of shopping, nightlife and restaurants to be a good choice.

Whatever you decide - you will love it, I'm sure. Hawaii is magical and special and I could almost bet you'll be back again and could visit the other islands then.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:45 PM
uuhhhh

picking up where travelinwifey left off.... guesstimate airfare at $500 each. then there's accommodations... figure $200 per night for anything halfway decent. then there's car rental, ocean kayaks, parasailing, and snorkel gear..... oh, and you gotta eat too......

hmmm... why don't you try a week in Cancun.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Rusty is right on the money. I have been to all the islands and each offers a differnt experience. To me, Maui offers a great mix of beautiful beaches, mountains, volcano with good shopping and great restaurants. Kuaui is green and very beautiful but much less in way of shopping, restaurants. Big Island is beautiful but looks much different than the other islands - active volcano and lava fields are everywhere. Just got back from oahu - big city on beach but North Shore is more secluded.

I like them all - it just depends on what you are interested in. I vote for 2 islands in 12 days.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:23 PM

You can find nice condos for $100-150/night, no problem. You can also save on food that way. I think $4000 is very do-able, as long as your airfare to Hawaii is around $1300, accomodations $1500, which leaves $1200 for food, etc. You can do it.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Just a suggestion, have you considered the caribeen? It sounds like you would be able to do all of the activities you mentioned, and you would be getting alot more for your money.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:16 PM

But the Caribbean doesn't hold a candle to Hawaii! Don't change your mind!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 11:35 PM

Don't forget those interisland flights will run from $145-$175PP. The little things really add up.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 03:57 AM

You may want to add to dantheman's budget $300-350+ for a car and gasoline
and something more ($50+) for snorkel equipment rental or purchase [Snorkel Bob-ubiquitous- let's you rent on one island and drop off at another for a small service fee]. I advise that you manage [lower] your expectations concerning activities, such as parasailing, and shopping. Nature walks, beautiful beaches and snorkeling from the shore are great and priced right for your budget. You may want to consider staying on only one island to minimize your travel costs, though if you're set on 2 islands, you could book your outbound flight to the first and your return from the second island. We've stayed on most of the major islands. I'd suggest Maui as the single island with the best blend of nature and activities for people who like people. Rent a condo.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank everyone for your help - we've booked our flights to Kauai and Maui for 12 days! Yay!