Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you were going to pick 1 Hawaiian Island to Visit??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - I am thinking of planning a side trip from Santa Barbara to Hawaii in the June/July timeframe. I will probably have no longer than 1 week in Hawaii - with that in mind, how many islands will I be able to see? If you had to choose 1, which would it be? Also, any suggestions for a 1 week itinerary in Hawaii?? Thanks for your help!! - Laura
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I am partial to Kauai. It is beautiful, lush, quieter than the other larger islands but there is so much to do. On the other hand, Maui is really nice as well and there is so much to do there, but it can be overwhelming. That's a heck of a side trip to do but you will have the best time. If you can island hop, I would do Maui and Kauai but plan it out carefully so that you get in what you want.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:32 PM

I will throw my vote to the Big Island. It has the most diversity of climate and topography of all the islands and some gorgeous places to stay. There will be as many different opinions on this as there are postings, because all of the islands are so different. Frankly, you won't be bored on any of them.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Big Island
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Have you been to Hawaii before? I'm thinking that maybe you haven't. I would do Oahu. You can get everything there: busy city, night life, lots of shopping, the museums, Pearl Harbor, and then go to the other areas of the island for calm, peace and quiet, wonderful scenery. You could of course do more than one but it depends on how much moving around you want to do and how much time and money you want to spend traveling from island to island. What ever you do, you will most certainly enjoy.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Maui, although you can't go wrong with any of them.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maui for best all around introduction and variety, or Oahu including Waikiki/Honolulu if you want more nightlife, city, historical tours, etc.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:49 PM

It totally depends on your interests. I like Kauai best since I like outdoorsy stuff-hiking, kayaking, etc, and don't care about nightlife or lots of resort choices. I also love the lush jungle-y scenery. I'd pick up a couple guidebooks or library books, read about the differences, and go from there.
But, really, you can't go wrong.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM

kauai, Kauai, Kauai, Kauai Kauai
Does that give you the idea that we loved Kauai. Yes we did. Just back three weeks ago from Oahu, Kauai and Maui and the other two don't even come close. I can't say anything about the Big Island though. But how can anyone not love Kauai. Have a good time no matter where you go.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Ag3046

For only one week, first time Hawaii- Maui or Kaui, depending on budget and need for beaches vs. lush foliage. Maui is an easy starter island.

I would save Big Island for a longer trip- like 10 days to 2 weeks. You will come back, a taste of one island is just not enough of our last, best state.

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the tips everyone!! Sounds like I have some research to do. One other question, with 1 week, do you think I would be better off trying to book a Hawaiian cruise so that I can island hop?? I usually am not a huge cruise fan since I prefer to really spend time wherever I am going vs on a ship, but maybe this is an option to consider for Hawaii?? Any opinions??
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:34 AM

I've never done a cruise, but a week would be a fine amount of time to get a taste of one of the islands which in my opinion would be more fun than the "shotgun" approach of a cruise. Do some research and pick the one that sounds the most interesting to you. My current favorite is Kaua`i, but I used to love Maui and visited it several times.
Enjoy.
-Bill
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:37 AM

I'm not a cruise fan either, you won't have time to really experience any of the islands on a one week cruise. Do your research on each island and pick one to explore. I've only been to Kauai so I can't offer a comparison, but Kauai was paradise. I'm going to Maui next month to see how it compares.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I love cruising but would never consider that for Hawaii. It's great to be able to just wake up in the morning smelling the fresh air and walk to the beach. Also sleeping with your window open listening to the wind (or ocean) and crickets and such is wonderful. Can't get that on a ship when you're sailing at night.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Im,

Throw the cruise idea right out the window! Not for Hawaii. This is one destination that will take years of return trips to fully "research"!

Seriously, enjoy 1 island for your week... play, explore, hike, chill and take it all in. There is SO much to do on each island... they all have a character of their own... unique to each one. I look so forward to return trips, and my new favorite is the one I've just returned from!

Looking at your timeframe, I would choose Kauai, for the wonderful weather on the north shore in the summer. Just my HO... note that O'ahu, though, is one of my very favs... love that north shore, too.

So yah, do your research, pick one, and have a blast... you WILL catch the fever... be warned!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:06 AM

The cruise idea is great for older people who have trouble getting around on their own. One person told me there were so many people in wheel chairs on the ship they were about to scream. Allow at least 3 days on each island. Don't rent a car in Honolulu--use public transportation. With direct flights to the other island, I would not visit Oahu and Honolulu.

My choices--Maui, Kauai, Big Island. I did a one day tour of the Big Island from Honolulu. They pick you up at the hotel and take you to the airport. Not recommended but possible.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
SAB

Big Island or Kauai. Used to be a big fan of Maui many years ago when it was less popular but not I prefer the Big Island.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM

KAUAI....my favorite and very relaxing.

I do not care for Oahu. I like the Big Island too, but Kauai better.

We did Kauai for 1 weeks, then BI for 6 days and Oahu for 1 day...just to see Pearl Harbor. That was enough of Oahu for me.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Maui without a doubt it has so many things to do and can be relaxing. There are secluded areas off the beaten path too.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Imavolio, what kinds of things do you want to experience in Hawaii? What kinds of things do you enjoy on vacation? That might help a little in narrowing down your choice of island. Every island is different. You'll get the most bang for your buck on Oahu, as there is everything from a bustling city to historical spots to secluded beaches. I know I'm partial to Oahu, but I'm not the only one. Check out the thread called "Why I love Oahu too..." and you'll find more things to do and see. Of course, no matter which island you choose, you absolutely must return to try the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -