Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Destination - Sept. '99 - Any suggestions?

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 08:14 PM
Vicki

Looking for some where affordable. Have been told Hawaii is expensive (airfare from IN especially). Thought about the Carribean but been told the bugs are out of control and hurricane season. Thought about Aruba - heard the wind is unbearable.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 09:33 PM
Julie

Vicki: We went to Paradise Island, Bahamas, in June, 1994, and had a fantastic time. Stayed at the Pirate's Cove Holiday Inn in a Junior Suite. They have a fantastic pool and their own beach cove. 8 nights with airfare from Seattle was around $3,000. They didn't have much there for food, but we spent a lot of time outside the hotel sightseeing. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, did not have any problems with bugs, and caught only one rain storm. We enjoyed the fact that there was enough to do without feeling overwhelmed. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 06:28 PM
Vicki

After visiting Disney World after a 25 year absence, I would have to recommend Epcot. I thought it was romantic at night. The crowds are the only problem.

Our honeymoon 12 years ago was in the Poconos. We stayed at a Caesars resort that was pretty laid back in May. The rooms were pretty $$$$.

I've been on several cruises, so that's an idea. Also I loved the island of Curacao and the Virgin Island. Just my thoughts

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 07:42 AM
Christie

What about San Antonio, Texas? Many Texas couples go here for their honeymoons. There are many very nice hotels downtown on the riverwalk, or you can get a little way out and go to the Y.O. Ranch or Hyatt Hill Country. San Antonio has loads of good restaurants, and there's always a party on the riverwalk! If you feel like getting outdoors, there's the Hill Country right close- lots of hiking and shopping. September is a good month for Texas- not too hot, not too cool.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 08:12 AM
Jen

Hi Vicki- I think that I responded to your post regarding Hawaii. Anyway....went to Aruba for our honeymoon in July 97. Yes, it is very windy but I wouldn't say unbearable! Because it is so hot, the wind was helpful in keeping you comfortable. Aruba is not the prettiest place...it is actually a desert island.....but it has its own natural beauty. My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt on Palm Beach...we had a great time. Lots of water sports/activities if you want to be adventurous and beautiful beaches and pool if you want to relax. Tons of great restaurants, too! Good luck!

Jen

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 08:14 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Consider splitting you time between South Beach (Miami) and one of the quieter keys. The combination of some nice, quiet days in the keys and the fantastic nightlife of South Beach (the beach is also great) seems like a great combination. Renting a car will give you the chance to explore all of the keys.
If you do stay in South Beach, stay in the Delano. I've never seen a more "happening" hotel.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 12:44 PM
Debbie

Hi Vicki - How about San Francisco? Not only is it a very romantic city, but has lots to offer both in the city and surrounding areas (like wine country, etc). Should be able to get a decent airfare from IN too !!

If your heart is set to go outside the US, consider Bermuda. There are a number of package plans for Bermuda. A beautiful choice for a honeymoon would be staying at Elbow Beach Hotel...the beach is spectacular. Don't think you would be disappointed. Bermuda is expensive, however, and there aren't any rental cars available. Bugs shouldn't be an problem, nor should hurricanes.

Congratulations and enjoy wherever you go!!

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 07:00 PM
Paul Rabe

You seem to be looking for a beach resort so this suggestion may not be at all what you're looking for. But I'll mention it anyway. Check out the Denver/ Colorado Springs/ Rocky Mountain area. The scenery will be gorgeous in September but the crowds will be much smaller than the summer rush. Take a short hike into the hills, or drive around the mountain roads behind CS, or soak up some culture in Denver. I find the mountains VERY romantic, myself, and this area is one of my favorites.

Old May 26th, 1999, 07:34 AM
chuck

Vicki, We went to Playacar & Cancun Mexico - stayed at the Royal Maeva(Playacar) Omni (Cancun) on an Apple tour in early Oct 96. All inclusive and expensive - but there was a ton of things to do beach wise. The next year went to Puerto Vallarta stayed at the Paradise Village Beach resort. It was our second honeymoon - I got sick on the first. I LOVED THIS RESORT. My wife loved it too - her only regret was the ocean water -she really wanted crystal blue water like on the carribean. A ton of things to do at the resort - great food, great pools, great beach bars, great rooms, great service. We ventured into the town of PUerto Vallarta only a couple times - alot to do there as well - but we wanted a leisurely vacation. The Puerto Vallarta trip for 8 days,air/hotel 2 people was a little over 1k - very worth it. I do plan on going back. The best thing in my opinion was that we did not have to worry about a car rental, where to eat, what to do, we never really had to leave the resort. Downtown Puerto Vallarta was very pretty - you must go to the old Catholic church.

I would also recommend Sonoma wine country - nice little town squares (Healdsburg, Sonoma) great food and quaint Bed&Breakfast all throughout the area. The wineries are alot of fun. Best of luck in your Honeymoon search

Old May 26th, 1999, 01:33 PM
Susan

Vicki: two places come to my mind. After all that fuss and planning, you deserve the let-it-all-go, all-out fun of Disney! (Typhoon Lagoon feels like the tropical islands) If you really want to get away from it all and find out more about the man you just married, the peace and quiet of Mackinaw Island after the tourists have gone is just the ticket. A couple of nights at the Metevier Inn (they have two nights for the price of one during the week starting Sept 1) and then on up into the UP for some lovely scenery and solitude. Not as fancy to brag about to friends, but really a beautiful way to just be with the love of your life. Congratulations, in advance! (I would also second the opinion about Colorado. The mountians are awe-inspiring.)

Old May 27th, 1999, 05:17 PM
Jon

Read the Maui Info Paper on the web site below, and tell me if it doen't convince you that Maui is the best!

LOTS of info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon