Holiday Inn Historic District Charleston

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 03:50 PM
Brooke

Holiday Inn Historic District Charleston

Anybody stayed here? Any info good/bad?
Is area okay? ANy info would be great!

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 04:27 PM
cmcdaniel

If you are talking about the Mills House, which is a Holiday Inn, you will be very pleasantly surprised. It's beautiful. I haven't seen the rooms, but have toured the public areas and it's quite nice, as is the area its located in--nicely situated in the midst of the historic district.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 12:36 PM
Brooke

No, It's located on Calhoun St and Meeting at Marion Square. Do you know the area this hotel is in?

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 03:39 PM
cmcdaniel

Sorry..can't help you with that hotel. Can't picture that intersection at all. The one I mentioned was Meeting St and Queen.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 10:49 AM
bb

Couldn't tell you much about the hotel itself, except that I think that they just did a big renovation a few years back. The area that it is located in is a good for hitting the shops on King St. It is very close to the College of Charleston (my dormitory (so many years ago now) was only a block down Calhoun).
It is a few blocks to the downtown market and to the waterfront, but not bad -- walking is the best part of Charleston, anyway. I always felt a little safer sticking to King street when walking to the market rather than Meeting, just because there are more people and crowded shops & restaurants around. Of course, be careful at night!

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Brooke

Hey BB

Obviously, I realize that you have to be careful everywhere, but is this area worse than other areas in Charleston?
Also about how many blocks is a "few"?

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:57 PM
arjay

Depending on where you'd be headed in the historic district, "a few" is 4, 6 -- like that. I have the map of C spread in front of me; we just got back a few weeks ago. I think I recall that HI location and it isn't quite in "the heart" of the historic area, but seemed to be a decent stroll. On the other hand, we stayed at the Days Inn Historic District, which is RIGHT in the midst of all that wonderful architecture/shopping/etc...and found it to be very pleasant. I'd recommend it if you are not already locked into the HI.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Pam

Brooke - Your hotel IS within easy walking distance to the Visitors Center, where you can catch a shuttle bus to the historic/market area. Unless you're really avid walkers, I'd recommend getting the shuttle.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 11:52 AM
hkasfh

I've heard the Embassy Suites is nice too. One of my friends stayed there for her honeymoon.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 07:10 AM
bb

Hey, no it's definately not a bad part of town. I can't think of any well-known hotels here that are in areas that I would call "unsafe." I guess what I would say about any hotel up by calhoun street is that if you go out for a late dinner in the Market, those 4-6 blocks home will seem like a long way in a strange town, especially if you run into jerks spilling out from the bars and all.
It is hard for me to know what to say about walking distances -- walking around this city is, to me, one of the true joys of living here. I feel like I could discover something new every day, even after several years here. On the other hand, I would not expect that my grandma or a small child would be up for it.
The visitors center is across Calhoun and past Marion Square park, trolleys from there to downtown are about $.75, I think. Parking is available downtown for $4-5 a day, or you can pay by the hour and half hour at city garages.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 08:03 PM
Tippy

Tippy-Top

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 07:55 PM
jkajffasdf

What is tippy top?