Reload this Page >

Holiday Inn Capitol-Washington,d.c.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:56 PM
Cathy

Any input on the Holiday Inn Capitol? After studying all the different hotels I decided on that particular one because of price and location. Just don't want to make a mistake after weeks of searching. We will also have two children with us. Thanks.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:36 PM
geroge

If this is the one near the hill, it's OK but not very near anything that would be of interest to tourists

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 02:53 AM
KenCT

I'd agree with the previous poster. The hotel is fine, and you're about four blocks from Union Station, and the Union Station metro, but there's not much to do in the area itself.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 07:04 AM
teresa

Cathy,

It's a nice hotel--we stayed there 2 summers ago. Do a search on this forum and you'll bring up one of my previous posts about the hotel. At the time, our kids were 10 and 7 and we loved the location for its easy access to the Mall. The Air and Space museum is literally 2 shorts blocks away and the Capitol just a few blocks...close enough that even the 7 year old managed just fine. The pool is rooftop and fairly small but, hey, water's water when it's hot. Have a fun trip!

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 08:50 AM
cathy

teresa: how were the room sizes? even though i hope not to spend much time in the room, with 2 kids it can get a little cramped. thanks for your reply.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 09:00 AM
plummie

Used to take my kids to DC when they were younger and always tried to stay at the St. James on 24th Street - one bedroom apartment suites, living room sofa bed, full kitchen, comp. continental breakfast, and often really low weekend rates. Also has an underground parking garage, self-service, if you have a vehicle with you. It's one block from the foggy bottom subway stop, easy walk to Georgetown, the White House area, etc.
Their number is 1-800-852-8512.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Teresa

Cathy,

Room sizes were really pretty decent. Not gigantic but not cramped. Rooms had been renovated right before we stayed there and it was very attractive. We had two queen sized beds plus two upholstered chairs and a small table. The sink was in the bathroom and it was fairly small (1 or 2 people at a time max). I know what you mean about cramped hotel rooms--we've started staying at all-suites hotels when possible for that very reason. Here's something you might consider: we had reservations at the Holiday Inn for 2 nights and at Loews L' Enfant Plaza for two nights. Loews is just a couple of blocks from the Holiday Inn and REALLY, really neat. Those rooms are BIG. Our kids totally loved Loews-they even had small tv's in the bathroom. Not sure when you're going to DC but you might check out the Loews Hotels website--they often have super deals. Many people on this site say that the DC Loews is too far from the action at night but with two small children that wasn't a consideration for us. There's a Metro stop right there and we zipped all over town with that. By the way, their rooftop pool is considered one of the best in DC. I would stay there again in a second. Please let me know if you have any other questions--I know how important a good hotel is! We're leaving for New York next week and I've been obsessing on hotels for weeks...

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Cathy

Teresa:
Thanks for the advice. L'enfant was also at the top of my list.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Sue

Cathy - If you go to hotrooms.com there is a link to Washington, D.C. discounted hotel rooms - very reasonable