Holiday in USA November

Search

Holiday in USA November

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holiday in USA November

Myself & my husband are coming to the US for 5 weeks starting 2nd November. We would like to travel from San Francisco to New York (and lots inbetween) but believe it will be really busy between 17th - 27th for thanks giving. Are there any suggestions on the best place to be at this time. Also what is the best mode of transport. We would rather avoid flying as you don't get to see anything in between. Thanks
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM

Driving is the only way to see everything in between. Thanksgiving won't bother you. Although there is a little more traffic on the highways around that time and since many families have it as a four day holiday, family tourist destinations are very crowded that weekend.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 07:24 AM

There are some parts of the US that are known as "flyover states" (for good reason - there isn't much to see).

Do you want to spend time in San Francisco and then leave California, or might you spend a week or more here first?

What are your interests - big cities, small towns, history, nature, hiking, beaches, shopping, eating, people-watching, seeing tourist spots like the "World's Biggest Ball of Twine"?

You could easily spend 5 weeks just in the west, 5 weeks just in the east, or a combination which means you'll be giving something short shrift.

Help us out!!
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 07:25 AM

>>

As long as you're not flying on the Wednesday before or the Sunday after
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was born and raised in one of those so-called (usually by people in New York and some parts of California) "fly-over" states where there "isn't much to see."

Believe me, those people are SO wrong not to mention parochial in the extreme.. But as to driving and in November. A lot is going to depend on your route of travel. At higher elevations there can be snow and less than ideal driving conditions in November so keep that in mind. At some spots, roads may actually be closed through some national park areas.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM

I wasn't referring to the states that have a number of national parks within their borders.

Sorry, but if someone is coming to the US from another country for 5 weeks, driving across Nebraska and Kansas is not how I'd recommend they spend their time (and yes, I've done it, several times).
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 08:29 AM

Agree you need to define your goals more specifically. Flying will be very difficult the Tues and Wed before Thanksgiving dn the Sunday after - huge numbers of kids flying home or to a resort for the holidays.

But realistically you can't drive the whole country in the limted time you have. My parents did a bunch of road trips after they retire and typically took 8 or 9 weeks to cross the country and back - but for only one part. So they did several trips - some north, some south a couple in the middle.

And I don;t wish to be parochial but the major sights are not evenly spread around the country they're concentrated in fairly few places. There are a lot of places where it's fine to live but not much for the average tourist to do.

And agree that in Nov you can run into bad weather in the mountains - and also in any place in the northern half - and you'll need cold weather clothes if noting else.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 08:32 AM

I too think there are lots of great things to see in the middle portions of the country - not the entire country, but there is a lot more to see than just the edges

A cross-country driving trip can be really interesting. And with 5 weeks, you could see quite a bit. However, I would probably choose a combination of driving and flying. This way you could target the areas that you really want to see. The country is obviously very large and there are some areas that are pretty boring to drive across. And winter weather is a factor in some places. You could also consider doing some portions of the trip by train. Our train network is pretty limited, but there are some neat routes - like the California Zephyr.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 08:38 AM

I think a combination of driving and flying is your best bet. Maybe spend 2+ weeks driving California - Arizona - Utah - Colorado, or California - Oregon - Washington, fly to Chicago and spend a few days, then fly to NY and spend the remainder of your time in the Northeast (New York - Boston - Philadelphia - Washington DC). But again, it depends on your interests -- if the great outdoors is of no interest, then I'd skip the Arizona - Utah - Colorado portion for example.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 09:23 AM

"We would rather avoid flying as you don't get to see anything in between."

That's fine, but be prepared for some long stretches. There will be some days when you'll spend most of the day in the car. That's because there ARE places where there is "nothing to see" for 6-8 hour stretches. You have enough time to do this trip but it's good to know what trade-offs are involved in a cross-country drive.

First off, I would take a southern route that time of year.

Here's one possibility:

San Francisco - 5 nights
Get rental car
Drive To LA
LA - 2 nights
Drive to San Diego
San Diego - 2 nights
Drive to Phoenix
Phoenix - 2 nights
Drive to El Paso, Texas (with stop in Tuscon AZ)
El Paso - 1 night
Drive to Antonio (your 1/2 way through Texas!)
San Antonio - 1 night
Drive to New Orleans LA
New Orleans - 5 nights (give that car and your butts a rest - weather/temps will be nice)
Drive to Tallahasse FL (stop in Pensacola)
Tallahassee - 1 night
Drive to Savannah GA (by way of Brunswick GA)
Savannah - 2 nights
Drive to Raleigh NC
Raleigh - 1 night
Drive to Washington DC
Washington DC - 4 nights
Drive to Philadelphia
Philadelphia - 2 nights
Drive to NYC
Return rental car
New York, NY - 5 nights

And there's your 5 weeks.

Have a travel book of the USA handy!

Many of the "Drive to ___" days have time for a stop and it will be good to know what's on the way (or a short detour) whenever you are driving.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM

"Also what is the best mode of transport."

Driving is the only feasible option. The train and bus options are either unworkable, too limiting, or unpleasant.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM

bardo1's interary does not allow any time in the spectacular National Parks the the US, especially the western US, is famous for.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 09:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Bardo1 has laid out a terrific itinerary . . . but it could also be an exhausting one. All those 1 and 2 night stands.

That is a good plan (in Nov I would not try driving a northern route) but what is your aim -- a total road trip ticking off lots of places/states?

Or fewer places for more time? If so, a fly/drive combo may workout better.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM

Marginal/janis1,

Quite correct - what I laid out was a "no fly" option.

Problem is, if you include the time to drive to and between the wonderful national parks in the expansive West, then flying to the East Coast afterwards becomes a must (even with FIVE WEEKS!).

I think the parks (at least those unlikely to have snow) are a good idea for this trip if flights are in the mix. I'm also of the mind that some parts of the US are called "fly-over country" for good reason.

Marginal,

By design, ANY drive across the USA will be ticking off lots of places/states.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I fear that bardo has not traveled very much by Amtrak. Yes the coach seating can be uncomfortable for sleeping overnight. A roomette is much more comfortable if you can afford it.
My plan would be see San Francisco and then get on the California Zephyr at Emeryville and take the train overnight to Salt Lake City. Rent a car for a week in SLC and go see as many National Parks as you have time for. Return the car to SLC and continue east on the Zephyr to Denver to see Rocky Mountain NP (two days of rental car). Take the Zephyr east from Denver to Chicago. Spend at least a day in Chicago and decide which way you want to go from there. Your choices include Minneapolis (Empire Builder), Washington DC (Capitol Limited), New Orleans (City of New Orleans) and New York (Lake Shore Limited). Over the last 10 years, I have ridden all of these routes in coach and still plan to take more Amtrak trips. If you choose the New Orleans route you can make a stop on the Crescent route to see Atlanta on the way to Washington DC and New York. The 15 or 30 day USA Railpass might save some money compared to the regular fares.
The thing to avoid is 2 or 3 consecutive nights on the train trying to sleep in coach. I can but many people cannot.
On the overnight long distance trains, there are at least 3 times as many people in coach as are in the sleepers.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM

I also purposely included three places with five nights and one with four.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

wow, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I love your detailed itinery bardo1, it certainly gives us a guide. We will stay away from the north of the counry but have to visit at least the grand canyon,(may have to try the tight rope route). We don't mind a bit of a drive, we used to live in the north of Western Australia where the closest town was 4 hours drive and a drive to the city to visit the family was a 2 day drive with not much inbetween.
Thanks also tomfulleron for your suggestions, I do like the idea of the train.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM

Not to be a naysyer - but train in the US - except for the NE coridor between Boston and DC is not really viable. It's very slow - driving is faster, there ae oftne long delys (since the tracks belong to the freight companies and their train take priority over passengers) there are MANY places with no train service - and the conditions can range from pasable to unpleasant.

I strongly suggest fly and drive as being faster, more convenient and much more under your control.

Finally - train is really expesnive - often well more than flying.