Search

Holds on passports.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holds on passports.

Hi Im needing advice quite urgently, If you owe back dated child support more than $5,000 because of unemployment issues is your passport automatically put on hold. My hubby was unemployed for a while and child support mounted up, he is now back on his feet and has been paying for 2 years never missing, my worry is if we try to go on vacation will he be stopped because of the past debt which is over $5,000, we have not been able to pay that yet, any advice please greatly appreciated, just i would like to visit my family in England and I have 3 disabled boys I can not manage on my own as one of my boys is Autistic and I can not cope with him alone if he has a fit. My husband was wanting to accompany me for 2 weeks but we are scared he will be stopped, we have asked the passport agency but they want $30 and it can take up to 14 weeks for an answer. I wanted to travel in 8. Thanks in advance for any advice. God Bless. Ps. We never got anything in the mail to say it was on hold but then again we didnt get told his licence was and we come to find out later it had been so we just want to make sure.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Forget the middleman/passport agency. Deal directly with the feds. You do not need to deal with some self-appointed middleman agency. Most Post Offices have the appropriate forms and will accept applications; you do need to get your photos taken (at AAA, etc.) and bring ID such as birth certificate and license. I suspect that state agencies are more tuned into your personal finances than the feds, since child support is governed by a state law.

I strongly recommend that in dealing with the passport and other agencies, that you stick to the relevant facts, and leave the famliy detils out of it.

For further info:

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get/get_840.html
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM

ooops, sorry if I misread the question, which was buried in details. I guess it's not *getting* the passport, but *using* it, that's the issue? Sorry.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Is there a way to check who is on a "no-fly" list?
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:57 AM
J62

Leaving the US, it is the airline which checks passports at checkin. You might try to give them a call. I agree with Anonymous about leaving out some of these details - it's more than anybody needs to know to give you a yes/no answer.

I don't know if they just check the valid dates of a passport or what type of database they check.

If it's really an urgent, unanswered concern, you could hire a private investigator to look into this for you, but that'll cost you more than $30.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:06 AM

In the event this isn't a troll posting, I've known a person or two who have traveled outside the US while in child support arrears, but still paying back the arrearage on a regular basis.

I think that unless there is a warrant for the persons arrest, there wouldn't be a problem getting a passport or leaving the country.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:28 AM

MLA...If an individual has been certified by Health and Human Services to be in arrears in excess of $5,000, thn that person is ineligible to receive a passport, regardless of the reason for the arrears.If payment "arrangements" have been made to the approriate state agency, then the person can have his name removed in a matter of weeks.Here is the link:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi...amily_863.html
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Mylittleangel,

You've recieved some sound advice here:

<<Forget the middleman/passport agency. Deal directly with the feds. You do not need to deal with some self-appointed middleman agency. Most Post Offices have the appropriate forms and will accept applications; you do need to get your photos taken (at AAA, etc.) and bring ID such as birth certificate and license. I suspect that state agencies are more tuned into your personal finances than the feds, since child support is governed by a state law.

For further info:

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get/get_840.html>>

<<Leaving the US, it is the airline which checks passports at checkin. You might try to give them a call.>>

<<MLA...If an individual has been certified by Health and Human Services to be in arrears in excess of $5,000, thn that person is ineligible to receive a passport, regardless of the reason for the arrears.If payment "arrangements" have been made to the approriate state agency, then the person can have his name removed in a matter of weeks.Here is the link:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi...ily_863.html>>

May I humbly suggest that you focus on (and follow up on) the helpful advice and not waste your time (or anyone elses) with replys that are not of help to you?
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:24 AM

I know I can't count...but I think there were five helpful responses to your original post.

Troll: Someone who fabricates a story in order to "bait" someone else into replying.

Good use of the scary Bible quote. >
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Bardo1 I am a member of the Autism Today web site and the Son-rise programme web site, but the son-rise programme is expensive so for now I have just received there first info pack, which is very interesting. Thankyou for your advice I will look up the web page you gave me.
I really do need to be with my family as this recent diagnosis came as a shock to them as well as me, my mom feels helpless being in England and me here, but with all the child support we have to pay, it has been impossible, the issue stems from CA and they never took into account our 4 children, so times have been hard, luckily we have a court hearing and an Attorney now (couldnt afford one previously) who says the support needs to be made fair for us to support our 4 children, and this is all we ask, we are not trying to get out of support just to be on a level playing field. Thanks again for your kind words and advice.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Angel, for long-distance phone calls look into Startec, this is what I use. My son once called from San Francisco talking to his friend in Germany for 75 minutes, I thought I'll kill him but the bill was just a few dollars, maybe $5 or $6, don't remember now.

I usually call Belarus for 1/4 of what AT&T would charge.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the spelling mistakes, my son is just waking from his nap and I was trying to type quick.

Yes I agree I have a lot to learn about Autism, but the Doctor who told me to go for a visit to England is the top in the nation Ms Jean Thomas for children with developmental problems so I am just going to follow what the experts say, but thanks for the advice I will keep it in mind and ask many questions regarding what you mentioned aileen thanks. Well my son has awoke so back to work, thanks for everyones replys.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:32 AM

MLA,
I'm glad to hear to belong to those two websights, but there is nothing better than a face to face support group. I really hope you start attending meetings of your local Autism Society of America chapter (most, if not all, provide babysitting for your autistic child and their siblings during the meetings). Also, please report back after you contact the State Dept. and your airline.
BTW, where do you live?
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM

I think it's just a typo, but what Patrick meant is that at 5c/min, a 30min call is $1.50. There are many calling plans available with a similar rate to the UK.

AT&T standard rates, that an alarming # of people still pay unfortunately, are much higher.

You can actually audio + video conference using Yahoo messenger now for free, although it is kind of choppy even with broadband. I use this when I'm travelling to say hi to the kids who prefer to giggle and wave than have a real conversation.