Passport Shocker!

Aug 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Passport Shocker!

I'm pretty stunned right now... we applied for our passports 3 weeks ago hoping to get them by the time we left for Grand Cayman in January, and we got them today! Is this a total freak occurance? I am getting married in 4 weeks, I wonder if I should have my name changed on the passport (I put it in my maiden name) or just bring my marriage certificate with me, I'd rather do it that way. Anyway.. I was just in total shock that they're here already!!
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:31 AM

I would say don't legally change your name until you return from your trip. It will make everything a lot easier. Then officially change everything. This way, if it gets delayed, it doesn't matter.
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Having your name changed on the passport now is going to require that you send the passport in, right? Being that the wait times for some passports to come back has been about 3-4 months (for the not so lucky), you might be better off leaving the passport as is for now and get the name changed after your Cayman trip (unless you plan on doing more international travel in the spring?)

Bringing your marriage certificate should be fine. i'd check with the airlines you are traveling with on their policy (but it should be pretty standard) just to make sure though.
Aug 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Congrats on getting married and for receiving your passport so quickly. For those that are having the same fears, I have recently read that they have been able to improve the passport process and that it should only take about 4 - 6 weeks once submitted. I agree with the other posts and would bring your birth cert., drivers license etc, but wouldn't change your name at this time.
Aug 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Make sure your airline tickets are issued in your maiden name to match the passport and the drivers license. I would not try to change them until after the trip.
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:10 PM

That's great. The State Dept. said recently that the backlog had eased (They hired retired personnel to help out). I also heard that they expect another backlog when the next deadline comes (in '08 for land and seaport entries). Hopefully, they'll do a much better job anticipating it.

I agree with everyone who said don't change your name until after your trip. That's what I did after I got married. And yes do have your maiden name on your airline ticket. Make sure you make copies of your marriage certificate like you do your passport. Leave one at home and put the other one separate from where you're holding the original during travel.

Congratulations on your wedding!
Aug 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I may be mistaken, but you have to have your passport in your maiden name because you are not legally Mrs. yet
Aug 28th, 2007, 01:31 AM

Yes, you can't change the name until after you are married, but that also shortens the time that you have to send in the passport and then get it back before your scheduled trip.

Best to make copies of your marriage certificate and bring it will you. I still say call the airline that you are traveling to see if they require a notarized copy of the marriage license, or any other info in order for you to get on the plane and back with your maiden name passport.
Aug 28th, 2007, 02:19 AM

She's getting married in 4 weeks. Her GC trip is not till January. I think she meant changing her name on her passport in between that time.