Reload this Page >

HJ 34th Street NYC - How Bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:11 PM
kathyP

Saw a "deal" for the Howard Johnson on 34th, double room w/ breakfast (I'm assuming bagel coffee and no more!) for $69 a night. Exactly how bad IS this place? As bad as the Hotel Pennsylvania? Is it this low because you are sharing the room with furry bugs with lots of little legs, or am I just being cynical? Seriously, I realize that for $69 you're not getting the St. Regis, but wondered if anyone had any scoop on this property.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:51 PM
sally

We, a family of 6, stayed one night there the weekend before Thanksgiving ...I would not stay again, but, for the price and the breakfast, and the location, it cannot be beat! It is an older property, it was very clean, small room and bath, narrow hallways, very dark, but all in all, where can 6 people stay (my Sat. rate for 2 double beds, $150)

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:36 PM
sally

there were a lot of people staying there from the UK...they must promote it over there,also, a convenient parking garage right across street at Madison Square Garden

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:58 PM
s

Have read a number of posts regarding this hotel - don't recall many positive ones

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:37 AM
Flynn

I've never stayed there or known anyone who has. I've passed this HJ on 34th St. and it doesn't even look like a hotel. It looks like a former SRO or older residential building that was converted into HJ. It is on a very busy central street with lots of shoppers. Penn Station and Macy's are a stone's throw away.

The Hotel Pennsylvania looks more impressive from the outside but don't know what that's like either. Just wanted to give you my impression of HJ.

For $69, you cannot beat that price but I wouldn't expect anything other than a place to sleep.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:31 PM
Jennifer

NY was expecting a fairly big snow storm about two years ago (that never happened) and my very large company put up my whole department in that hotel for a night. Let's put it this way, I ordered dinner, took one look and ate nothing, I refused to walk around barefoot and when it was time to take a shower the next morning, I was so disgusted, I put a towel down IN the shower and showered while standing on it. Does that give you a good idea of the HJ?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
mjh

What's a SRO?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:56 AM
carole

SRO = single room occupancy

An SRO is basically a rooming house.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:56 PM
topper

top it.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:01 PM
kathyP

Thanks for the responses everyone, I think we'll cross this off our list!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:09 PM
xxx

Good move, Kathy. I just had to go take a shower after reading this post!